A disabled artist-activist’s project to “make visible the human cost of austerity” in the run-up to tomorrow’s general election has visited the prime minister’s constituency, home to one of the most high-profile victims of his government’s austerity programme.Liz Crow’s We Are Figures project has seen her sculpt 650 figures out of river mud, one for every UK constituency and each linked to an individual story about a victim of austerity.And on Saturday (2 May), We Are Figures was in Witney, a constituency that is not only represented by the prime minister, but was also home to Mark Wood.Wood starved to death four months after he was found fit for work, and subsequently had his out-of-work disability benefits and housing benefit removed. Among those visiting the travelling exhibition of clay figures were members of the local Green party, of which Wood had been a member.At one point, there were UKIP, Green and Labour supporters in the We Are Figures van discussing the austerity stories at the same time.Lizzy Maries, a tour guide on the We Are Figures tour, said: “There was a lot of empathy. These were real stories that have happened to real people and that resonated with a lot of people.”She said that all of the visitors to the van in Witney – including Conservative party members – were “really respectful” to the project.She said: “So far, nobody has wanted to argue with us and say, ‘It’s not true, it’s all lies,’ although a lot of people do say, ‘We need austerity.’”Maries said she believed the exhibition would make some people think again about who they vote for.But she said that We Are Figures was not just about the election. “It’s also about keeping an eye on the people around you. It’s about the society we live in. It is about us as people creating a society that supports one another.“I definitely think that for a few people it will make them think. I also hope it will make them think past the election.”Pictured: The We Are Figures van outside David Cameron’s constituency office in Witney
GARY Wheeler expects to be back playing in around two to three weeks following the shoulder injury he sustained on Good Friday.The 21-year-old was felled late and high by Wigan’s Ryan Hoffman in the match and has sat out ever since.A popped AC joint was the diagnosis and following successful surgery and rehab, Wheels has targeted the week after the Challenge Cup Quarter Final tie with Hull KR as his return.“I have been in full training for a few days now and will start full contact sessions next week,” he said. “It has been a frustrating time as I would like to get out there and play with the boys.“I don’t bear any malice to Hoffman; those plays are part of the game but he took me on the wrong side. I needed an operation to stabilise the joint.“I had a run of games at a couple of positions but I now need to get back in, find a position and cement that down.“We have a lot of good lads coming through, and a lot who haven’t played yet. It’s good that the older lads have a lot of confidence in the younger players too.“Yes, it’s been frustrating, but it’s also been good to see my mates getting a game and doing well.”He continued: “I would have liked to have been fit now but hopefully I will get a good run of games to the end of the season. I know I have had bad luck with injuries, whether that is bad luck, or my body and age, I don’t know. It has been hard but I am confident in my ability.”
SUPER League Grand Final-winning coach Brian McClennan is returning to the UK to coach the Exiles in the 2013 International Origin Game against England.The New Zealander led the Exiles – a team comprising the cream of overseas talent drawn from Super League – to victory in the inaugural Origin fixture in 2011 and jumped at the chance to pit his wits against England at The Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington, on Friday June 14.McClennan, who coached Leeds Rhinos to Super League Grand Final success in 2008 and 2009, said he was delighted to be re-joining the Exiles.“The Origin game is a fantastic concept and with the Rugby League World Cup on the horizon this year’s match is going to have more riding on it than ever before,” said McClennan. “It’s a hugely important fixture for England as they look towards the World Cup and for all the Kiwi and Aussie boys in Super League it has special meaning.“Many of them know that they aren’t going to be considered for rep footy when they sign for a Super League club and the Exiles gives them that chance. I had a great time two years ago, it was a lot of fun for everyone involved with the Exiles and I’m looking forward to replicating the spirit we had in camp in 2011.”McClennan coached New Zealand Warriors in the NRL last year, when the Exiles drew a two-match series against England with Daniel Anderson as their coach.“I saw the games last year and they were terrific spectacles,” added McClennan. “One match is just about right and I think we’ll see even more intense competition this time. We get all the televised Super League games on TV down here in New Zealand and I have been impressed by what I’ve seen.“England have more depth now than they’ve ever had and that can only be a good thing for Steve McNamara: there are also a lot of very talented overseas players in the competition and I know the chance to play for the Exiles will see them up their game.”McClennan will begin putting together his backroom staff over the next few weeks with a series of announcements scheduled between now and the International Origin Game on Friday June 14 (8pm).Tickets for the 2013 International Origin Game, England v Exiles at The Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington, are now on sale from £20 adults, £15 concession, £10 children. To purchase tickets please call the RFL Ticket office on 0844 856 1113 or visit www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk
2018 has been a special one already with Head Coach Justin Holbrook marshalling his team to 24 wins in the Betfred Super League to date.And the latest – a 38-12 victory over Hull FC – was a special one indeed as it not only gave Saints the League Leaders’ Shield but featured no less than 12 Academy products in the 17 man squad.We’re proud of this achievement and we know you are too.As we look towards 2019, we want to continue this ethos.Our squad has already been strengthened further with the additions of NRL stars Joseph Paulo and Kevin Naiqama to complement our already strong core of experienced players and young guns.We want you to continue the journey with us and Memberships for the 2019 season are now on sale.We have again expanded your exclusive benefits, and now that the Super League structure has been confirmed, Memberships will cover 14 home games in 2019.You can also make your Membership a simple monthly payment with our very popular Direct Debit plan. Each season lots of fans take advantage of this to pay for their Membership over ten months to spread the cost.Alternatively, you can also take up an eight or six month package later on in the off-season.For example a West Stand renewal for an adult would equate to just £25.06 per month.And an ‘adult and child’ in the Family Stand would be just £27.49 per month.Your Membership covers all Saints’ Betfred Super League home games and to discover Benefits, Prices and more here www.saintsrlfc.com/membershipsWe are Saints and Proud.#saintsandproud,As we look towards 2019, we want to continue this ethos.Our squad has already been strengthened further with the additions of NRL stars Joseph Paulo and Kevin Naiqama to complement our already strong core of experienced players and young guns.We want you to continue the journey with us and Memberships for the 2019 season are now on sale.We have again expanded your exclusive benefits, and now that the Super League structure has been confirmed, Memberships will cover 14 home games in 2019.You can also make your Membership a simple monthly payment with our very popular Direct Debit plan. Each season lots of fans take advantage of this to pay for their Membership over ten months to spread the cost.Alternatively, you can also take up an eight or six month package later on in the off-season.For example a West Stand renewal for an adult would equate to just £25.06 per month.And an ‘adult and child’ in the Family Stand would be just £27.49 per month.Your Membership covers all Saints’ Betfred Super League home games and to discover Benefits, Prices and more here www.saintsrlfc.com/membershipsWe are Saints and Proud.#saintsandproud
ROCKY POINT, NC (WWAY) — Pender County Utilities Water customers in the central and western areas of Pender County are experiencing periods of low pressure or outages due to a water main break along east Montague Road.This may continue for the next 8 to 10 hours until approximately 10:00 p.m.- Advertisement – “Periods of low or no pressure in the distribution system increases the potential for back siphonage and introduction of bacteria into the water system,” said Bryan McCabe, interim public utilities director. “The Rocky Point/Topsail Water System and the NC Division of Water Resources advise when water is restored, consumers boil all water used for human consumption,”This includes water used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes and food preparation.If customers do not boil water, they are advised to use bottled water.Related Article: Brunswick County declares conservation alertThe affected areas include NC Highway 11 (Willard), along Highway 117 from the Duplin County Line south to the New Hanover County line, and west of Highway 117 to US 421 served by Pender County Utilities, known as the Rocky Point/Topsail Water & Sewer District.Water service will be returned to customers as soon as possible.Vigorous boiling for 1- minute should kill any disease-causing organisms that may be present in the water.This advisory remains in effect until further written notification is issued.For more information, call Pender County Utilities at 910-259-1570.
Officers arrived and found a car that had been in the water for some time. Rescuers were able to get the car out of the canal.Police say they found Dax Christopher Baker, 20, of Surf City, dead inside the vehicle.Detectives believe the weather was a contributing factor in the crash.Related Article: Police: Two victims identified in Surf City fatal crashThe crash is still under investigation. Snow and ice covers Broadway Street in Surf City, where a car ran into the canal on January 4, 2017 (Photo: WWAY) SURF CITY, NC (WWAY) — Early this morning, Surf City Police pulled a car out of canal and found a man inside.Police say around 1:45 a.m., they responded to a call of a submerged vehicle at the end of Broadway Street.- Advertisement –
Now, 50 years later, a coalition of Wilmington civic, and non-profit, and religiousleaders is organizing an event to remember Dr. King’s final days and to imagine howhis life and the nation’s history might be different if he had kept to his originalschedule.On Wednesday, the anniversary of Dr. King’s death, the public is invitedto gather in the gym of Williston Middle School where Dr. King would have spoken.The program will feature music of the Civil Rights Era, video footage of theassassination, and clips from his famous “Mountaintop” speech.Related Article: North Carolina continues to rebuild six months after Hurricane FlorenceGovernor Roy Cooper will give a speech in regard to Dr. King and his life’swork.“We believe that the 50 Year Commemoration event will be a wonderfulopportunity for the Wilmington community, in all its diversity, to gather under oneroof and celebrate the remarkable accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,”says New Hanover County District Attorney Ben David. “Dr. King’s life and legacyrepresents a moral high point in America’s recent history that has inspired people allover the world, and can serve to further unify our community.”David co-chairs the MLK Commemoration Commission, along with Bertha B.Todd, a retired New Hanover County educator who worked at Williston High School during Dr. King’s assassination.The 50 Year Commemoration begins at 6:30 p.m. Admission is free.The New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office and the Wilmington Police Department will be on hand to help with crowd management. No weapons or large bags are allowed at this event.You can learn more about the 50 Year Commemoration here. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The night that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated in Memphis,Tennessee, he was scheduled to be in Wilmington.The civil rights leader was to speak at Williston High School that night to headline a voter registration drive, but was persuaded to remain in Memphis another day in support of that city’s sanitation workers’ strike.- Advertisement –
Around 3:30 p.m. on January 23, 2018, Young and Vaughn and two co-conspirators entered the bank and held bank employees and a customer at gunpoint.They stole more than $40,000.They were in the bank for approximately 10 minutes.Related Article: Woman who called 911 about suspicious person accused of setting fire to homeWhen Lumberton police responded, they saw a gray Saturn, matching witnesses description, near the bank.Police began chasing the car.The DOJ says Vaughn was the getaway driver and Young was in the back passenger seat. During the pursuit, the robbers fired their weapons at law enforcement, hitting six Lumberton police cars and a Robeson County Sheriff’s Office vehicle.At one point, while the Saturn was stopped, Vaughn fired shots at law enforcement. Young also fired shots.At a convenience store in Lumberton, Young jumped out of the vehicle and ran off.Vaughn continued to drive through Columbus County, where the vehicle was abandoned, and the remaining three men escaped into the woods.The following day, approximately thirty hours after the robbery, Vaughn was located by a homeowner in Lumberton. He was wet and cold, and was wearing the same clothing that was captured on the bank surveillance video.Young was arrested during a traffic stop on January 25. Both men confessed to law enforcement about their roles in the robbery.Vaughn faces a sentence of not less than 20 years and up to life along with a fine up to $500,000 and up to 5 years of supervised release at sentencing.Young faces a sentence of not less than 10 years and up to life along with a fine up to $500,000 and up to 5 years of supervised release at sentencing.Daquan Madrid Pridgen and Demetris Sean Robinson have also been charged in connection with this case and their cases are pending. 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settings SOUTHEASTERN NC (WWAY) — Two of the men who robbed the PNC Bank in Lumberton in January pleaded guilty in federal court today.According to a news release from the Department of Justice, Rashad Davonte Young, 27, and Jeramie Ross Vaughn, 30, pleaded guilty to one count of bank robbery and one count of discharging a firearm in furtherance of a bank robbery.- Advertisement –
“It’s a piece of history going away from Ogden. This is probably one of the oldest places here and so much has been built up around here in recent years and it’s kind of hard to see it go,” said long-time customer Doug Stanford.Stanford has been coming to Sahara Pitas and Subs since the 1980s. The little family-owned restaurant will close it’s doors as the owner is set to retire.“I’m feeling all the customers’ appreciation and it’s just overwhelming. I’m grateful for the support this community gave me over the last 37 years and I enjoyed every bit of it,” said Bahouth.Related Article: More than 5,600 people without power in New Hanover CountyBahouth says it has been 37 years of joy. He says he has seen generations grow up here.People say it was more than just a place to get some authentic food.“We’d come over here for lunch and we just got to know him really well over the years and always enjoyed him. It was good food. It was great food, great friends, great people,” said Stanford.Great food enjoyed by customers like Stanford from right across the street, to visitors from across the country.“Muscatine, Iowa. It’s 1,800 and something miles. 1,182. We just had to stop here. It’s our favorite place to eat,” said Karen Morgan.What’s next for Bahouth?“I don’t have any plans. I’m just going to try to enjoy life and do the things I’ve been missing out on for the last many years that I’ve been here,” said Bahouth.The restaurant was packed for it’s last day with customers saying their goodbyes. NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — It’s the end of an era for the one long standing restaurant in Ogden. Sahara Subs and Pitas celebrated it’s last day on Saturday.“It’s been a roller coaster for the last two weeks, but all good things come to an end,” said owner Edwin Bahouth.- Advertisement –
Inside of Lidl grocery store (Photo: Lidl US/Facebook) ARLINGTON, VA – Virginia-based grocery store chain Lidl US announced Friday plans to launch dozens of stores across the East Coast including one in Wilmington.In a press release, Lidl US announced plans to open 25 new stores in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia by spring of 2020.- Advertisement – “We are committed to long-term growth in the United States and always strive to locate in the most convenient locations for our shoppers,” said Johannes Fieber, CEO of Lidl US. “These new stores are part of the next steps in our U.S. expansion. Over the next year, we are excited to introduce more customers to Lidl’s award-winning quality, reliably low prices, and convenient shopping experience.”The Lidl store is set to come in along Eastwood Road. This is not the first time Lidl has announced a pending store location in Wilmington. Roughly three years ago, the discount store chain settled on a location along S. 17th street.In 2018, the store was sued by the developer of that site saying Lidl failed to follow through with its plan to build stores in Wilmington, Charlotte and Cary.Related Article: Earth Fare holding job interviews in Wilmington through SaturdayThis moves comes with some closures of stores across the state. Lidl announced that it will also close two stores in Rockingham and Kinston, North Carolina this summer. All employees there will be given the opportunity to relocate and work at other stores within Lidl’s growing markets according to Lidl officials.Earlier this week, Lidl also announced it will hold a hiring event to fill around 100 new positions at its regional headquarters and distribution center in Alamance County, North Carolina.