Top Stories

first_img Top Stories “I knew that some adrenaline was going to kick in also, so we made that decision pre-game.”It was a good decision.Palmer, who had not played since Week 1 due to a nerve injury in his right shoulder, completed 28-of-44 passes for 250 yards and two touchdowns in Arizona’s win. He was sacked one time and for the most part did not look like a player who had missed roughly a month of action.“Not physically,” Palmer said when asked if he was limited in any way. “Physically I felt good. I just need reps. I need work. I need to throw a bunch just to get my arm strong again because it’s definitely weak.”Palmer said the only way to increase his arm strength would be to keep throwing, and assuming his nerve stays awake, that should not be an issue. However, he admitted he’s not in the clear yet with regards to his recovery, and will continue to do treatment for a while. “From the get go, this has been very unpredictable,” he said. “It’s still that way.”But for now, he’s back, and while Drew Stanton did a solid job in his absence, there is something to be said for having Palmer back in the fold. GLENDALE, Ariz. — Friday afternoon, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said he had no idea who his starting quarterback would be Sunday when his team hosted the Washington Redskins.Ultimately, the nod went to Carson Palmer after he was able to do enough before the game to convince the coaches he could be effective.“He practiced pretty well Friday,” Arians said after his team earned a 30-20 victory Sunday. “We knew with one more treatment that he should get better and that he wasn’t going to get worse. I thought Friday he was capable of doing everything, but I still didn’t see some of the velocity and then pre-game he was all jacked up. Former Cardinals kicker Phil Dawson retires Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impact Comments   Share   center_img “Carson looked great,” receiver John Brown said. “He just did what he usually does. He got back to himself.”“We were happy to see him back in there,” receiver Larry Fitzgerald added. “He was happy to be back. It was great to see him have the success he had today.” Palmer certainly had plenty of chances. Arians said the team figured this would be a game where they aired it out, and Palmer added he knew this wasn’t going to be a game where the team threw just 18 passes. “Forty-four attempts is probably right on par with what Bruce wants to do,” he said. The veteran admitted he is not quite 100 percent, as there were a couple throws he tried to make Sunday afternoon but couldn’t. He said he had a difficult time gauging how hard he needed to throw the ball sometimes, which is an issue that should dissipate as he continues to progress in his recovery.But for a player who may not have been 100 percent, Palmer played well. And, perhaps even more important, he seems to have escaped the afternoon no worse for wear. Arians said he would not have started Palmer if he was going to be limited in any way, and the QB himself was able to alleviate some concerns about how the nerve would handle the beating that comes with playing quarterback. The 5: Takeaways from the Coyotes’ introduction of Alex Meruelo Derrick Hall satisfied with D-backs’ buying and selling “I wasn’t sure how it was going to respond to compression and getting landed on by a 300-pound guy,” he said. “It happened a couple times and it felt great.” – / 22last_img read more

Ralph Hawk DElia of Medford and formerly of B

first_imgRalph “Hawk” D’Elia, of Medford, and formerly of Boston’s North End, passed away peacefully, surrounded by his loving family on Thursday, July 5th at the Kaplan Family Hospice House in Danvers. He was 76.Born in Boston, Hawk attended local schools and graduated from high school in 1960.Hawk had a fulfilling career with the City of Boston. He was the foreman for the Parks and Recreation Department and loved his job. He enjoyed being with others and maintaining the parks of the city he loved most.*Advertisement* In his spare time, Hawk enjoyed golfing at New Hampshire’s White Mountains: Maplewood Country Club, playing poker and other card games with friends and traveling with his wife, Red. Hawk and Red loved the time they spent traveling together. They were avid visitors of Hollywood, Florida, Maine, Foxwoods, Provincetown and other areas of Cape Cod. One of their favorite things to do while visiting the Cape was going periwinkle picking and walking around Provincetown. Hawk also spent much of his free time in the North End of Boston and was an active member of the North End Athletic Association. He was a funny, kind and loving person and will be missed by all the lives he touched.Hawk was the beloved husband of Angela “Red” (DiManno) Guarino D’Elia. The two married on November 8, 2008 and together they have shared 10 loving years of marriage. He was the beloved husband of the late Aurora (Capozzi) D’Elia, who passed away in 1998. He was the cherished son of Gaetana (Campochiaro) D’Elia Lott of Arizona and the late Anthony D’Elia. Hawk was the devoted father of Darlene D’Elia and Mike, Sharon D’Elia-Verrocchi and Said, Laurie D’Elia and Dominic, Joseph Love D’Elia, Michael D’Elia and Stephanie, Ralph D’Elia, Lisa Guarino and the late Sal, Angela Guarino Vilar and Alfredo, Joseph Guarino and Michele, Stephanie Guarino and Hal. He was the loving puppy of Daniel, Ralph, Aurora, Nicholas, Elena and David and the loving papa of Gia and Caesar, Ronnie, Joseph, Guarino, Renné, Jase and Isabella. Hawk was the loving great grand-papa of Gia, Ciana and Ronnie Valentino. He is also survived by many loving nieces, nephews and friends.A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at St. Leonard Church, Hanover Street, in Boston’s North End, on Tuesday, July 10th at 11 AM. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend may visit with the family on Tuesday morning at St. Leonard Church from 8 through 11 AM. Services will conclude with interment at Woodlawn Cemetery, Everett.last_img read more