WESTERN BUREAU: Defending ISSA Western Conference double champions, Herbert Morrison Technical, will put both their Under-16 and Under-19 titles on the line, when they take on Cornwall College in the final of both categories. Ralique Grant and Devon Watson spearheaded the lopsided 106-58 win for Herbert Morrison, whose Under-16s brushed aside Muschett High 80-36, while Cornwall eased past Holland High 56-16. Cornwall’s Leacroft Lettman was the game’s high-point man, leading all scorers with 14 points for Cornwall College. He also held five rebounds to go with four steals and two assists. Teammates Jowayne Jones added 10 points and two rebounds and Alwade Thompson chipped in with a handy nine points for the winners. Owen Rodney was the only player with a significant performance for Holland, with eight points, two rebounds and five steals. In the Under-16 semi-final against Muschett, Okieffe Noble was brilliant, topping all scorers with 20 points and 11 rebounds. The outstanding Shaqueal Benti also made himself useful with a 19-point, 13-rebound game, while Davaughn Campbell’s 12 points added to the huge margin of victory. In the senior category, Grant outlined his liking for the big games when he and Watson combined for 55 of Herbert Morrison’s total output. Grant had a game-high 28 points, while Watson finished with 27 points and seven rebounds. Tafari Vassell grabbed 16 points, 10 rebounds and three steals to help stave off the William Knibb charge in the final quarter. Herbert Morrison led from the opening tip-off and held a 49-23 lead at half-time and never allowed their opponents to close the gap. The best-of-three final takes place with Game One set for Montego Bay Cricket Club this afternoon at 4 p.m. (Under-16) and 6 p.m. for the Under-19s.
Three little girls, recently lost their single mother and the sight of seeing them endlessly wandering around, have many concerned citizens asking; “What will happen for these children who became orphans as a result of the Ebola epidemic?”Most of these children, who have had a parent or both succumb to Ebola while they themselves survived the disease, are being rejected by their communities.In the case of the three little girls, community members are afraid to help, console and guide them during their time of need. Not because of heartlessness, but because of their mother’s death, which no one knows what actually killed her.“Our mother didn’t die from Ebola; she was sick for two weeks and didn’t have any money to get help and ended up dying,” the children have always said whenever they are asked about their mother’s death.The oldest, who constantly hangs her head low, is afraid to look anyone in the eyes. She said she’s terrified to see the worried look in the eyes of those who remember her mother’s death.“No one wants us around, but we don’t have Ebola! I take care of my small sister, who is eight and my four-year-old niece. My people are there, but they don’t help us, they say we should wait for 40 days before they can decide what to do with us.”Crying uncontrollably, she adds, “We just want someone to help us because since our Ma died, we’re just passing around hoping to see her again,” she said, recounting how their days are spent since their mother died.What has gradually surfaced in this deadly Ebola fight is the fact that children, well over 600 so far, are living under the same stigma as these girls.According to the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW), as of October 14, 2014, there are 668 abandoned and neglected children in 10 different counties; Montserrado and Lofa having the highest number. The MOHSW official in charge of the psychosocial aspect of theEbola task force, Madam Victoria W. Saway, expressed the Ministry’s concern and how they are dealing with these orphaned children.According to Mrs. Saway, the Ministry is in the process of handling “two groups of children” those coming out of communities, and those who have been traced by UNICEF/MOH.“We come into contact with children who are coming out of communities by social workers. MOHSW has its social workers that are contact tracers, while there are social workers in the communities that have been trained and are being paid by UNICEF,”According to her, these trained social workers are working with a community structure that enables them in identify children who are infected or affected one way or another by the Ebola outbreak.“These social workers go into communities and look for cases of children whose parents are sick and have been left alone. These children are not considered abandoned. Sometimes they’re left in the home by themselves because their parents had to be taken to the ETU.”According to Mrs. Saway, everyday social workers bring cases of children being left alone in their homes, and want to know what can be done about it.“Sometimes community members call us when these kids’ parents are taken to the ETUs, or their parents die in the house and are left by themselves. Sometimes contact tracers run into these cases when they go into homes and alert us.”She also added, “We do have children who are abandoned, and our social workers are trained to be able to tell the difference between an abandoned child or an orphan whose parents were taken to the ETU.”While MOHSW has acknowledged knowing that children such as the three girls in this story exist, they have a way in finding them and knowing their statuses.“What we do when calls come in to us is, we send a team. Most of the children that we take are contacts, which mean they are one way or the other affected or infected by the Ebola. If they’re contacts, we take them to an isolation care center because we don’t want the communities to be afraid of them. Most feel that if the child is a contact and gets closer to them, the child will infect them as well with the virus.”She also said, “Because of the public fear, we immediately take them to a place that was given to us by Child Fund called KeleKule, an interim care center (ICC). It’s being sponsored by UNICEF, and is a 21-day withholding ICC for these children. Child Fund helps; they have done renovations at the facility and when there are gaps, they fill them in. MOH as a whole provides supervision to make sure all necessary things take place for these children there.“The care givers who are at KeleKule are survivors of Ebola and have been certified; they care for the children who are taken in. When we were looking at these children’s cases and why they’re being left in communities, we didn’t want to put people at risk. What we did, we contacted these survivors and asked them if they were willing to work; and some applied. UNICEF in turn partnered with us and in fact, most of our functions at child protection at MOH and MOHSW are sponsored by UNICEF,”The Health Ministry statistics show that at least 435 persons have survived between March 22 and October 16.A research states that a survivor is not likely to contract the virus again for up to 10 years.According to Mrs. Saway, UNICEF decided to identify these survivors, train them and place them at Kelekule.“Kelekule, which, in the Kpelle language means ‘willing heart’, is the right name for these workers who are willing to help these children; and for the children who are willing to be helped. When these children are placed there, there’s no fear of infection, because the care givers have already been infected once.”She also added, “they can provide care for these kids if they come down until they can get an ambulance that will come for the kids and take them to an ETU. Most children are negative, but when they are sent to these ETUs, they get infected there, and that’s what we want to stop from happening. That’s why we send them to KeleKule, and in there, the care takers work to make sure none of the children infect another if they come down with the virus,”The Ministry has said that KeleKule is just a temporary place that houses the children for 21 days. And once each child has completed those days, they are free to go. But in some instances where the children have nowhere to go, they are then placed at Hawa Massaquoi, another placement center.“If they don’t have relatives, we send them to Hawa Massaquoi. It’s a place for children who are survivors but are abandoned. The ETUs have called us to inform us about children who lost their entire families but survived. They have nowhere to send them, so we send them to Hawa.”According to MOHSW, the center takes care of children as it once used to be a daycare. But due to the crisis, it has been transformed into a shelter for these kids.“The maximum stay there is two weeks, unless we can’t find their families. If we can’t find a relative, the possibility is we go into the foster care program.The MOHSW has a form that those interested in becoming foster parents for these children have to fill in. According to Mrs. Saway, when a child is in need of parents, those who fill out the form are then inspected and interviewed.“We do it for the survivors; it’s a new system that we’ve started. Once the child goes through the proper channel, social workers and so on, the child is documented and profiled to make sure they don’t come up missing,“Once we have found them a family, we don’t keep these children. At MOHSW, we want to see these children with their families. Family care is the best option,” she added.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
SANTA CLARA — Two plays Monday signaled key strides in Jimmy Garoppolo’s comeback.First, Garoppolo’s reconstructed left knee channeled enough ground force to unleash a 70-yard touchdown pass to Richie James Jr., the first pass Garroppolo attempted in the first full-pad practice at 49ers training camp.It was the best deep ball Garoppolo has thrown — in front of the media — since his Halloween 2017 arrival, or at least that is what it seemed like in the wake of all he’s endured.The other …
His justification for the claim: the release of Lugaru’s source code last May. That was an act done “in the spirit of the Humble Indie Bundle,” a phenomenally successful pay-what-you-want video game sale, organized by Wolfire Games. At the end of the campaign, Lugaru, along with three of the other games that were part of the game bundle, went open source. Lugaru’s source code was released under the GPL or “general public license,” one of the most common licenses for open source software. But while developers are free to hack away at the Lugaru code, Wolfire Games does retain all the legal rights to the characters and the game assets. Open sourcing Lugaru’s code certainly doesn’t give others the right to sell the game in the Mac App Store. The folks at Wolfire Games have long been proponents of open source, often making the argument that it’s a great way for indie game developers to help improve the code – and of course the games – they build. Rosen says he fears “this incident may make developers much less likely to release the source code to their games.”We’ve contacted Apple for comment, and will update when we hear more. It’s not the first time that open source developers have run into problems with the new Mac Store, most recently when VLC was pulled after a developer claimed its presence there ran afoul of the GPL. 4 Keys to a Kid-Safe App Related Posts audrey watters 12 Unique Gifts for the Hard-to-Shop-for People… 5 Outdoor Activities for Beating Office Burnout Tags:#Apple#gaming#web 9 Books That Make Perfect Gifts for Industry Ex… If you’re looking for a little bunny rabbit combat video game, consider Lugaru. But if you go to purchase the game from the Mac App Store, beware. There are two versions. One (for sale for $9.99) is Wolfire Games’ – the startup is the creator of the game. The other’s being sold by iCoder for $1.99. “Imagine our surprise,” says Wolfire Games’ co-founder Jeffrey Rosen, when the startup found that someone they’d never heard of was selling their game via Apple’s new app store, and at a price that severly undercut the official version.“This is a kind of software fraud we’ve never even heard of,” writes Rosen in a blog post this evening, “a pirate simply downloading the app and resubmitting it to the same distribution channel at a lower price. We immediately emailed Apple explaining the situation, expecting them to quickly investigate the situation, shut down the fraudulent app, and follow up with us. We started this process a few days ago, and haven’t heard back from Apple yet.”Rosen says he’s also struck out with contacting iCoder. But in an article in the gaming blog Kotaku, iCoder’s Alex Matlin claims that “we have every legal right to market and sell the software, and we feel that $1.99 is a fair price.”
(Eds: Correcting the name in second last paragraph) New Delhi, Jul 27 (PTI) Former India opener Virender Sehwag and celebrated athlete P T Usha have been named in a 12-member Committee which has been handed the job to pick this years Khel Ratna and Arjuna awardees. The Committee, to be headed by Justice (retd) C K Thakkar, will meet on August 3 to select this years awardees. The Committee has Mukund Killekar (boxing), Sunil Dabbas (Kabaddi), M R Mishra (Journalist), S Kannan (Journalist), Sanjeev Kumar (Journalist), Latha Madhvi (Para athlete), Anil Khanna (sports administrator), Injeti Srinivas (DG, SAI) and Rajvir Singh (joint Secretary, Sports Ministry) as the other members. PTI AT KHS KHS
TOKYO — The International Olympic Committee says the new stadium for 2020 Tokyo Games will be completed two months earlier than planned to allow organizers time to stage more test events before the games.Japanese organizers told IOC vice president John Coates during a two-day IOC “project review” that the completion date would be moved from January 2020 to November 2019.That still won’t be in time for the 2019 Rugby World Cup, which will be staged in Japan from Sept. 20-Nov. 2, 2019.Work on the stadium fell behind when the government abandoned an earlier design by architect Zaha Hadid because of spiraling costs, sending organizers back to the drawing board. As a result, Rugby World Cup organizers had to scrap plans to use the new national stadium as the center piece for their tournament.Other than the national stadium delays, Coates said Tokyo’s preparations were going ahead smoothly.“I don’t think we’ve ever seen a city more prepared, and I’m prepared to acknowledge that with respect to Sydney,” said Coates, who was involved in organizing the Sydney Games in 2000. “For four years out we couldn’t be happier.”Five additional sports have been proposed for the Tokyo games; a combined bid of baseball-softball, surfing, skateboarding, karate and sports climbing.A final decision on which sport or sports are added to the Tokyo program will be made by the IOC in August. Under new IOC rules, a host city can propose the addition of one or more sports to their games.“They have looked at some prospective venues for surfing and they’ve looked within metropolitan Tokyo for some venues for sports climbing and skateboarding,” Coates said. “But we have not made a decision yet on venues.”JIM ARMSTRONG, AP Sports WriterTweetPinShare0 Shares
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Bournemouth boss Howe insists Faria influence not stretching to transfer policyby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth boss Eddie Howe has played down the influence of new coach Hugo Faria on transfer policy.The former Portugal under-20 international recently joined the Dorset club as a first-team assistant coach. Howe bolstered his squad over the summer with the signings of Jefferson Lerma and Diego Rico from La Liga outfits Levante and Leganés, respectively.However, he played down suggestions Cherries would prioritise foreign recruits in future transfer windows following Faria’s arrival.“I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from it but we have a group of players who need to be communicated with perfectly,” said Howe to the Daily Echo.“We can’t take chances on information which may get lost. For that alone, it was important.”
APTN National NewsIn Vancouver, the Missing Women’s Inquiry is holding their final days of testimony.Once again, three retired Vancouver officers repeated the familiar claim that the failure to catch serial killer Robert Pickton was due to a lack of resources and senior officers being slow to realize a serial killer was at work.As APTN National News reporter Rob Smith tells us, this comes just one day after the lawyer for the victims’ families called the inquiry a fiasco.
OSu freshman center Micah Potter grabs a rebound against Navy on Nov. 11, 2016. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorThe Ohio State men’s basketball team will look to get back on track this Saturday as they take on Fairleigh Dickinson at the Schottenstein Center.The Buckeyes are coming off a tough fought match in which they fell to No. 6 Virginia, losing by a final score of 63-61, in a game in which they once held a 16-point lead.“Obviously we were disappointed that we lost and in the way that we lost,” said sophomore guard C.J. Jackson. “I feel like we are encouraged as a team and we know how much better that game made us and how much closer we got. We connected more than we have ever since I been here and it was good to see.”The biggest issue OSU faced in the game was turnovers. The Scarlet and Gray turned the ball over 20 times compared to the Cavaliers 10. There was also a big discrepancy when it came to fouls, with the Buckeyes committing 20 to Virginia’s 11.“With the turnovers we had the other night, we have to play smarter,” said OSU coach Thad Matta. “I don’t want guys to not take risks but they have to be more calculated. When you have 20 turnovers and you shoot 50 percent, I am trying to explain to these guys that it is problematic.”OSU will hope to correct these issues as they take on Fairleigh Dickinson.The Knights enter the game with a 2-4 record. They are currently riding a two-game losing streak, coming up short against both Saint Peter’s and Army.Fairleigh Dickinson is led by guard Darian Anderson. The junior out of Washington, DC is averaging 19.7 points per game on 54 percent shooting. Anderson also leads his team in steals, averaging 1.7 a game.The Knights also receive valuable play from their big man, forward Mike Holloway. The 6-foot-7 sophomore is averaging 14.7 points per game and six boards.“We are going to see a team that is going to try and push the basketball,” Matta said. “We are going to see a ton of ball screens. We are going to see handoffs. They are going to change up defenses and press a little bit. It will be a good gauge to see how we take care of the basketball.”Despite the loss in their last time out, the Buckeyes did have some positives that they hope will give them something to build off of moving forward.“It just shows how good we really are right now and how much better we could become,” said freshman center Micah Potter. “We were down a starter, we had some silly mistakes and just didn’t execute our offense. If we can get it to where we can execute the entire game and play Ohio State basketball the entire game we will be really good. We can compete with anyone in the country.”