Marburg fever, for which there is no vaccine or cure, spreads through contact with bodily fluids of infected people. Resembling the deadly Ebola fever, Marburg causes severe diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, severe chest pain, sore throat, and cough. In later stages it leads to bleeding. The governor of Uige province in northern Angola, the center of the outbreak, said the province alone has had 150 cases, including 142 deaths, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report today. The largest previous Marburg outbreak, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, involved 149 cases with 123 deaths from 1998 to 2000. Chaib also said two suspected cases have been reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which borders Angola, AFP reported. Previous reports said that about 75% of the patients were children, but the latest reports have not given any information about the age range. In a statement today, the World Health Organization (WHO) put the size of the outbreak at 140 cases with 132 deaths as of yesterday. Just yesterday the WHO reported 132 cases with 127 deaths and said the case-patients included 12 healthcare workers. More staff members from the WHO and its Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network were due to arrive in Angola this weekend, the WHO said. The agency also has sent personal protective equipment and mobile communication field kits. Mar 31 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_03_31a/en/ See also: Apr 1, 2005 (CIDRAP News) The Marburg hemorrhagic fever outbreak in Angola has killed more people than the largest previous outbreak of the disease and is continuing to spread, according to the latest reports. Nine people have been isolated in an Italian hospital because of possible exposure to the virus, according to another AFP report published today. WHO spokeswoman Fadela Chaib in Geneva, who reported the situation, did not name the hospital or list the nationalities of the nine people. Apr 1 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_04_01/en/ Yesterday the WHO said mobile surveillance teams had been set up and were checking rumors of cases in Uige province. A mobile field laboratory from Canada began operating today, and a dedicated isolation facility operated by Medicins sans Frontieres was preparing to receive patients identified by the surveillance teams, the agency said.
TEAM LEADERS: Lamine Diane is averaging 22.8 points and nine rebounds to lead the way for the Matadors. Terrell Gomez is also a primary contributor, maintaining an average of 19.9 points per game. The Anteaters have been led by Collin Welp, who is averaging 13 points and 5.9 rebounds.FACILITATING THE OFFENSE: Diane has either made or assisted on 45 percent of all Cal State Northridge field goals over the last three games. The junior forward has accounted for 28 field goals and 10 assists in those games.WINLESS WHEN: UC Irvine is 0-6 this year when it scores 61 points or fewer and 21-4 when it scores at least 62.UNBEATEN WHEN: Cal State Northridge is a perfect 6-0 when it turns the ball over seven times or fewer. The Matadors are 7-17 when they record more than seven turnovers. UC Irvine’s forced 10.7 turnovers per game in Big West play and 10.6 per game over its last five.DID YOU KNOW: The Cal State Northridge offense has recorded a turnover on only 16 percent of its possessions, which is the 22nd-lowest rate in the nation. The UC Irvine defense has forced opposing teams to turn the ball over on just 17.1 percent of all possessions (ranked 300th among Division I teams). Associated Press March 3, 2020 ___For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com UC Irvine looks to extend streak vs CSUN Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditCal State Northridge (13-17, 8-6) vs. UC Irvine (21-10, 13-2)Bren Events Center, Irvine, California; Wednesday, 10 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: UC Irvine looks for its 12th straight win in the head-to-head series over Cal State Northridge. In its last 11 wins against the Matadors, UC Irvine has won by an average of 16 points. Cal State Northridge’s last win in the series came on Feb. 22, 2014, an 81-75 victory.
The LPGA tournament will take place August 20-26 at the Vancouver Golf Club, located in Coquitlam, B.C.The tournament will run on a 72-hole format, with cuts taking place following 36 holes played. After 36 holes, the field will be reduced from 156 players to the lowest 70 scores and ties.It’s a significant tournament for Dreher to gain entrance into, as the event holds a prize purse of $2 million.- Advertisement -Along with Dreher, Samantha Richdale of Kelowna and Sue Kim of Langley were the other two British Columbian golfers to receive an exemption.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinals“I caution everybody: It’s not football ber alles (above all else.)” Linda Dishman, president of the Los Angeles Conservancy, a leading preservation group, said she signed off on the plan in 2003 because the new stadium would preserve two of the Coliseum’s three defining characteristics: its exterior walls and the peristyle. But recent changes – including removing berms on the exterior walls – have her worried that the renovation could lead to the revocation of the Coliseum’s coveted status as a national historic landmark. “When we initially agreed to support the project, we believed the exterior of the bowl and the outside walls, particularly the walls, were sacrosanct,” Dishman said. “We felt we were on the edge. And when you’re so close to the edge, our understanding was that (the design) would be treated with great respect and not altered.” Efforts to fast-track the $800 million Memorial Coliseum modernization designed to lure an NFL team to Los Angeles have raised concerns that the ambitious plan will jeopardize the landmark status of the 83-year-old stadium. The speed with which officials are pushing the plan through has limited public debate and even past supporters question whether the Coliseum’s historic status is being jeopardized. The plan – to create a towering, three-tier 68,000-seat stadium inside the Coliseum’s existing walls – was approved unanimously Tuesday by the city Planning Commission and is headed for a City Council vote on Friday. “You’ve got a mentality of people who want to get it done at any cost,” said Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, who also is a member of the Coliseum Commission. Coliseum officials and architect Ron Turner have worked for more than three years with preservationists and the NFL’s stadium consultants to develop a plan that includes suites, club lounges and spacious locker rooms. And they’ve been mindful of the fate of Chicago’s Soldier Field, which lost its national landmark status after an extensive renovation. “We’re working with public officials and preservationists to balance the need for a state-of-the-art NFL stadium that will allow a team to be economically competitive, while being sensitive to the public interest and historical concerns,” said Neil Glat, who has directed the NFL’s study of L.A. sites. Ultimately, the Coliseum’s historic status lies with the National Parks Service. “When we do an assessment of a building, we look for salient characteristics that define the things that are important about it,” said David Look, the deputy head for culture resources for the NPS’ West Regional Office in Oakland. “There’ve been a number of significant events at the Coliseum, including two Olympics,” Look said. “Let’s say people at the last Olympics came back to this new place. Would they even recognize the place?” The city’s Historic Preservation Committee unanimously approved the design changes last week, but also recommended that the Coliseum Commission work closely with the state and NPS to maintain the stadium’s historic designations. “We want to make sure we learned by the mistakes in Chicago and we’ve taken pains to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” Deputy Planning Director Robert Sutton said. City planning staffers recommended approval of the project to the Planning Commission, which voted 6-0 on Tuesday in favor of the project. “We think professional football is the best thing that could happen to the Coliseum,” Planning Commission President Jane Ellison Usher said. The Community Redevelopment Agency is set to consider the plan Thursday and the City Council on Friday – just days before National Football League owners meet in Denver to discuss L.A.’s bid, as well as a competing proposal by neighboring Anaheim. Concerns over the rapid pace of the approval process and the almost single-minded determination to return professional football are dismissed by supporters of the plan. “It’s not something to get your nose out of joint on,” said David Israel, a state-appointed member of the Coliseum Commission. “We’re just dealing with a lot of issues at the same time.” The NFL has been leaning hard on Coliseum representatives to get all of the approvals in place in advance of the owners meeting Tuesday Yaroslavsky says as the deadline looms, he’s concerned that Coliseum officials – who have kept mum about negotiations – are giving too much away. “It’s the standard operation procedure for the NFL – you get into a bidding war,” he said. “We’re in that now. I love pro football, but I’m not one who believes the NFL is the most important thing in Los Angeles.” The developing tension reflects differing visions for the future of Exposition Park. “I see the Coliseum as a rising tide that lifts all ships and I don’t think we’re giving anything away,” said Bill Chadwick, an investment banker who has played a lead role in negotiations for the Coliseum Commission. Chadwick, a member of the Science Center board, takes a free-market view of the museum’s concerns about the NFL. “If you have a shoe store in my mall and I bring 60,000 people by your store and you can’t sell shoes, I think you’ve got the problem, I don’t,” he said. But since the NFL and the Coliseum have agreed to a 25-year lease to operate the stadium – with the NFL holding options for an additional 30 years – some question what will happen when the NFL’s interests don’t coincide with those of the museums in the park. “That’s been the danger from Day One when you turn over the keys to a private operator,” said Yaroslavsky, who has spent his career in the public sector. “The expectation from my point of view is there’s nothing this deal should do to infringe upon other constituents of the park – the Science Center, the rose garden, the Natural History Museum, the African-American Museum. That needs to be an overall concern.” There have also been concerns raised about increased signage, including a 15-story sign on Exposition Park’s western border, five multisided monument signs that could include advertising and three multisided signs that are up to 30 feet tall. “If that becomes billboard row, it would be a travesty for a park as beautiful as Exposition Park,” Yaroslavsky said. “You don’t see a Toyota sign on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.” Chadwick, the NFL proponent, said the signs are a key revenue component for the NFL, generating up to $30 million a year to the team’s owner. Jane Pisano, president of the Museum of Natural History Foundation, said park tenants often find ways to work through their difference amicably because they have similar missions. “The NFL is not a park tenant, there’s no history of cooperation,” Pisano said. “Everyone wants this to work, for the NFL to come to the Coliseum, for it to be successful for everyone. But for that to happen there needs to be respect for the public interest in the park.” Staff Writer Rick Orlov contributed to this report. email@example.com (818) 713-3621160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!