The illnesses have been blamed on E coli O111, a much less common strain than O157:H7, the variety usually identified in outbreaks. Oklahoma officials have said they believe the outbreak is the largest one involving O111 ever reported in the United States. Most case-patients had eaten at the Country Cottage restaurant in the northeastern Oklahoma town of Locust Grove between Aug 15 and 17, the OSDH has said. The agency has not identified a specific food source for the outbreak, despite having interviewed more than 1,700 people. Health officials also were investigating a church event that was catered by the Country Cottage restaurant on Aug 16, the OSDH said in the Sep 12 update. At least 30 of 250 people who attended the event at the Bethany Free Will Baptist Church in Broken Arrow, Okla., reported they became ill with diarrhea or other, milder symptoms, the statement said. An OSDH official said last week that because investigators had not identified a specific food source in the outbreak, they suspected that a staff member who handled many foods at the buffet-style restaurant might have been infected and spread the contamination. Sep 15, 2008 (CIDRAP News) The number of people involved in a restaurant-related outbreak of an uncommon strain of Escherichia coli has risen to 291, including 67 who were hospitalized, Oklahoma officials reported recently. Sixteen of the hospital patients have received kidney dialysis treatment, the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) reported in its latest official update on Sep 12. One person, a 26-year-old man, has died in the outbreak. The department said it did not plan to interview any more customers of the restaurant after Sep 12. See also: In investigating the church event, the OSDH was joined by the Tulsa Health Department and a team from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the agency said. Sep 12 OSDH news release Sep 10 CIDRAP News story “Unusual E coli strain sickens 231 in Oklahoma”
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
By Tristan LavalettePERTH, Australia (Reuters) – Marnus Labuschagne and Joe Burns notched half-centuries before New Zealand’s unflagging attack yielded late wickets, but Australia had built a near insurmountable lead of 417 by stumps on day three of the first Test yesterday.Australia reached the close of play at 167 for six with Matthew Wade on eight and Pat Cummins on one. New Zealand quicks Neil Wagner and Tim Southee shared the spoils with six wickets between them.Australia suffered a late collapse but remain in a strong position. The highest successful run chase in Test history is 418, achieved by the West Indies against Australia in 2003.“Bit disappointing to lose wickets tonight but in the grand scheme of the game we are in a good position and in control,” Burns told reporters.Burns (53) and Labuschagne, who has now passed 1 000 Test runs in 2019, did the bulk of the heavy lifting in an 87-run partnership.South Africa-born Labuschagne’s bid for a fourth straight Test century ended when he mistimed a pull short on 50 off Wagner, who persevered with aggressive short-pitched bowling.Australia’s tactical approach to bat carefully and set New Zealand a big target was exemplified by Burns, who did not score until the 25th delivery he faced. His patient knock, however, ended when he was undone by a searing short delivery from Southee.Steve Smith, who scored a massive 774 runs in the Ashes tournament in England this year, fell shortly before stumps for 16 to continue a recent barren run.David Warner, who passed 7 000 Test runs, was Australia’s sole loss in the middle session after he miscued a pull shot off Southee on 19. His sluggish 63-ball innings was in contrast to his majestic unbeaten 335 in the last Test against Pakistan in Adelaide.Even though they lost late wickets, Australia’s commanding performance gave them a stranglehold on the day-night contest. The hosts gained a sizeable 250-run first-innings lead after bowling New Zealand out cheaply on the stroke of tea.New Zealand, in reply to Australia’s first-innings 416, were dismissed for a tame 166 with veteran Ross Taylor playing a lone hand with 80.Mitchell Starc claimed his second five-wicket haul in as many Tests after missing most of the recent Ashes series.He led a disciplined attack which was short-handed after Josh Hazlewood was ruled out of the Perth Test, having suffered a hamstring injury on day two.Taylor acknowledged that New Zealand faced a daunting prospect with widening cracks marking the Perth Stadium pitch.“It’s going to be tough but the strength of the side over the last few years has been the fighting spirit,” he said.Both teams are without a paceman after debutant New Zealand quick Lockie Ferguson, himself a replacement for injured spearhead Trent Boult, damaged his calf on day one.Oppressive weather conditions continued for the third straight day as the temperature peaked at 41 degrees Celsius.New Zealand have won only one Test in Australia since their sole series triumph across the Tasman Sea in 1985-86.AUSTRALIA 1st innings 416NEW ZEALAND 1st innings o/n 108 for 5Jeet Raval b Josh HazlewoodTom Latham c&b Mitchell Starc 0Kane Williamson c Steven Smith b Mitchell Starc 34Ross Taylor c Steven Smith b Nathan Lyon 80Henry Nicholls c Tim Paine b Mitchell Starc 7Neil Wagner b Mitchell Starc 0BJ Watling b Pat Cummins 8Colin de Grandhomme c Steven Smith b Mitchell Starc 23Mitchell Santner b Marnus Labuschagne 2Tim Southee c (sub.) b Nathan Lyon 8Lockie Ferguson not out 0Extras: (b-1, lb-2) 3Total: (all out, 55.2 overs) 166Fall of wickets: 1-1, 2-1, 3-77, 4-97, 5-97, 6-120, 7-147, 8-155, 9-166.Bowling: Mitchell Starc 18-2-52-5, Josh Hazlewood 1.2-1-0-1, Pat Cummins 14.4-3-46-1, Matthew Wade 2-0-8-0, Nathan Lyon 14.2-2-48-2, Marnus Labuschagne 5-1-9-1.AUSTRALIA 2nd inningsDavid Warner c (sub.) b Tim Southee 19Joe Burns c Henry Nicholls b Tim Southee 53Marnus Labuschagne c Mitchell Santner b Neil Wagner 50Steven Smith c Jeet Raval b Neil Wagner 16Matthew Wade not out 8Travis Head c Colin de Grandhomme b Tim Southee 5Tim Paine b Tim Southee 0Pat Cummins not out 1Extras: (lb-3, nb-5, w-7) 15Total: (six wkts, 57.0 overs) 167Fall of wickets: 1-44, 2-131, 3-148, 4-154, 5-160, 6-160.Bowling: Tim Southee 19-6-63-4 (w-3), Colin de Grandhomme 13-2-26 – 0 (w-1, nb-2), Neil Wagner 17-2-40-2 (w-3, nb-3), Mitchell Santner 8-0-35-0.
Aduana Stars have stepped up their campaign for the upcoming season with the signing of Richard Mpong and Stephen Anokye Badu as well as completing the registration of Yahaya Mohammed.Mpong joins the Dormaa side after falling out of favour with Kumasi Asante Kotoko in the just ended season.The winger was transfer shortlisted and was expected to join league champions Ashantigold but the 2009 league champions have acted swiftly to acquire his services.He is expected to terrorize opposing full backs alongside local Black Stars winger Daniel Darkwaah.Anokye Badu, a centre-back and Ghana youth international, joins from DC United but played for relegated Sunyani side BA United in the Premier League last season. The youngster, who failed to make the final cut for Sellah’s Tetteh World Cup team in New Zealand earlier this year, possess great leadership qualities and will add more steel to a team which shipped in few goals last season.Meanwhile, Chief Executive Officer of the club has confirmed the registration of Yahaya Mohammed who was signed at the halfway stage of last season but failed to play due to issues with registration.“You all know about Yahaya Mohammed, we wanted to use to him last season but we couldn’t .”“Thankfully, all the processes have been sorted so he win join us next season.”Yahaya last played for Kotoko in the league before embarking on an unfruitful trip abroad. –Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Virginia Tech quarterback Josh Jackson is the latest player to plan a potential departure from the Hokies, citing “disrespect” as a main reason for his decision to move on from the program.”After much thought, consideration and discussion with my family, we think it’d be best for me to pursue my academic and football career elsewhere,” Jackson wrote on Twitter, in part. Thank you Virginia Tech. pic.twitter.com/1BUBc7kQpI— Josh Jackson (@joshiejack17) January 24, 2019Jackson felt disrespected after he was knocked out of his starting position due to injury and was asked to compete for the starting quarterback job again this spring, according to The Roanoke Times, which cited unidentified sources. He suffered a broken leg while playing against Old Dominion on Sept. 22 and missed the rest of the season after starting three games.Jackson, Virginia Tech’s starting quarterback for all of 2017, threw for 3,566 yards as a Hokie with 25 touchdowns to 10 interceptions. He was 11-5 as a starter. Related News Former Ohio State quarterback Tate Martell discusses transfer to Miami In addition to Jackson, running back Deshawn McClease also announced his intentions to transfer, joining two other teammates who announced their decision to explore other options earlier this week. McClease, who rushed for 433 yards on 96 attempts with two touchdowns in 2018, wrote on Twitter, in part, “After discussing with my family, we believe that it is best for me to transfer to another university following graduation this spring. I am very eager to continue my football journey and further my education.” Texas QB Shane Buechele to transfer after May graduation, report says Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente acknowledged the wave of players with intentions of potentially transferring and issued a statement Wednesday.“Our coaching staff remains firmly committed to developing a winning culture at Virginia Tech where our student-athletes can learn, grow and thrive in all aspects of their lives,” Fuente said in the statement, via The Roanoke Times. “As head coach I certainly understand when young men desire to explore their options by entering themselves in the NCAA’s transfer portal.“Our evaluation of all aspects of our football program is constant and ongoing. In my postseason one-on-one meetings with our student-athletes I asked for their input on what we can do better as a coaching staff and how I can better serve them as their head coach. I appreciate their feedback, as well as their willingness and desire to do whatever it takes to help us improve individually and collectively in 2019.”
DES MOINES — Traffic and the sale of new cars are both picking back up as the state emerges from the shut down brought on by the coronavirus.Iowa Department of Transportation director of planning Stuart Anderson told the State Transportation Commission during a workshop Monday traffic numbers bottomed out the week of April 10th. He says all traffic was down 44 percent that week and the interstate traffic was down 47 percent for the same week in 2019.Anderson says traffic volume has increased every week since the low. “We are still below the 2019 levels — but the week that ended last Thursday — total traffic was down 21 percent,” according to Anderson. So, we’ve cut in half the traffic impacts on the state.”The fees paid when someone buys a new car also saw a drop. “In March they were down a little over 50 percent from April of last year…..in May it’s down a third from what it was,” Anderson says.The car fees and gas tax are used to fund road repairs. Anderson says they had projected a loss of 25 percent in road funding or about 35 million dollars. But those numbers are looking better. He says COVID-19 impact now for the June distribution is a drop of 25 million dollars — which is a 20 percent reduction compared to the previously predicted 25 percent.Anderson says there is a lot of variability and projections “are highly subject to change.”
zoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license The Netherlands-based tank storage company Royal Vopak has completed the divestment of its terminals in Amsterdam and Hamburg to First State Investments.Unveiled in April this year, the transaction involving the terminals in Amsterdam and Hamburg is worth about EUR 600 million (USD 655.5 million).The move is said to be in line with Vopak’s strategy focused on industrial, chemical and gas terminals as well as strengthening its position in Rotterdam and Antwerp.At completion, the transaction generates a cash inflow for Vopak of approximately EUR 555 million. The total exceptional gain after taxation will be around EUR 190 million, to be recorded in the third quarter of 2019, according to the company.With regards to the terminal in Algeciras, Vopak said it is in discussion with the current minority shareholder in this terminal to dispose of its 80% share interest.The stake in the 403,000 cbm facility would be sold for the same purchase price and terms and conditions as agreed with First State Investments, Vopak added.