Gary Chivers believes it’s essential that Brighton & Hove Albion find a way to stop the ever impressive Eden Hazard ahead of today’s game against ChelseaThe Seagulls will host Chelsea at the Amex Stadium looking to bounce back from last weekend’s 1-0 defeat at Burnley.The last time Brighton faced Chelsea at home came in January, where they lost 4-0 after Hazard’s brace.And Chivers, who played for both teams in his playing career, warned Brighton they must find a way to stop the Belgian superstar this time around.“From Brighton’s perspective it’ll be a tough one because although Chelsea are a side who’ve been a bit indifferent in recent weeks, their last performance in the league against Manchester City was a great one,” Chivers told the club website.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“The side took their chances last weekend – Eden Hazard playing up front was their trump card in many ways because not many people expected that.“Most would assume that either Olivier Giroud or Alvaro Morata would play as a striker, but Hazard went into that role. He had pace either side of him and when they had the ball it really looked dangerous.“Hazard drifts into spaces between the back four and middle four, you don’t want him running at you with the ball because he’s one of the best players in the Premier League – if Albion are to get a result then they’ll have to stop him as well as being solid overall defensively.”The Brighton-Chelsea match will begin at 14:30 (CET) today.
WILMINGTON, MA — Jesse Fennelly, Jay Samaha, and incumbent Jo Newhouse are running for the three seats up for grabs in this year’s School Committee race.Despite running unopposed, Wilmington Apple felt it was important for readers to get to know the candidates a bit more. Wilmington Apple is asking the candidates weekly questions leading up to the April 27 Town Election.This week’s question: Arguably the biggest responsibility of the School Committee is the hiring of the Superintendent. Dr. Glenn Brand was selected last February, hired last March, and officially began his tenure as Superintendent here in July. He is approaching the end of his first year with the district and will receive his first evaluation from the School Committee next month. What letter grade would you give Dr. Brand’s performance thus far? Why? Name one area he’s particularly impressed you in. Name one area you believe he can improve in.Below are the candidates’ responses, in their own words:Jesse FennellyAmong the many responsibilities of the school committee, one of the biggest and most impactful is the hiring of a superintendent. Wilmington was fortunate to have the steady leadership of Joanne Benton for many years, but recently, there has been a noticeable lack of continuity at the helm of the administration. I was present for the school committee interviews of the superintendent candidates, and was immediately impressed with Dr. Brand. I said last year, and will say again, the school committee made the right choice in hiring Dr. Brand to lead our school system.Up to this point, I would give Dr. Brand an A-. Something he has done particularly well, which I indicated in my campaign last year was an area I would like to see improved, is the communication from the administration. Dr. Brand has done an excellent job, in my opinion, of keeping parents and the community updated on what is happening with the schools and the district as a whole. He has also done well with involving the community in the decision making process. From multiple surveys that have been sent out, to community representation on search committees, to involvement in strategic planning, Dr. Brand has included the community at every turn, something I believe is vitally important to the continued success of our school district.On the flipside, I don’t believe there is necessarily an area that he is lacking in. That said, one of the main issues of the school district as a whole has been a lack of continuity in leadership. I would encourage Dr. Brand to continue building his leadership team with individuals who are not only dedicated to the education of our students and improvement of our schools, but are invested in the LONG TERM success of the Wilmington School District. My hope would be, as Dr. Brand continues to build his team and replace those leaving, that he does so with an eye towards continuity. That he hires individuals who are committed to Wilmington for the long term.I know Dr. Brand can’t force people to stay here. However, if he can build a strong team that stays together for the foreseeable future, I have no doubt that we can improve our schools, and he can improve his A- to an A or A+.To learn more or get in touch, visit http://www.facebook.com/JesseFennellyforWilmingtonSchoolCommittee.Jesse FennellyJo Newhouse (Incumbent)I am pleased with Dr. Brand’s work to date, but it is too soon to give him a letter grade. He appropriately spent the better part of this past year familiarizing himself with the school department and the Wilmington community as part of his entry plan, addressing the Coordinated Program Review findings and working on a strategic plan for the district. His entry plan was very comprehensive, and he has provided detailed findings regarding areas of strength within the district and areas needing improvement. I am excited to work with Dr. Brand to address all of our areas of concern, but I am particularly interested in supporting his efforts to improve instructional support interventions, social emotional learning across all student demographics, and consistent communication protocols and systems within the district.Jo NewhouseJay SamahaI agree that one of the biggest responsibilities of the School Committee is to evaluate the Superintendent. Over the past few years we have struggled with inconsistent leadership in Wilmington. I believe that the hiring of Dr. Glenn Brand was a move towards more consistent leadership at the highest administrative level.If I were to assign a letter grade to Dr. Brand it would be a solid “B+”. As a teacher I would assign this grade to a student who has a strong grasp of the important principles. This student would put forth a consistently strong effort and would be a benefit to the class as a whole. This student would also have areas were he/she could improve to get that grade up to an “A”.I am confident that Dr. Brand knows the ins and outs of the job of Superintendent. He is competent and this shows in his reports to the School Committee and in feedback from both parents and staff that work with him. He is conscientious and confident. He is also humble enough to admit when he does not know something but will work hard to get you the answer.One area where he has truly impressed me is his ability to lead. One great example of this is his work with the Strategic Planning Committee. He has shown great transparency with the process. I have spoken with people on this committee and they are energized and excited to do the work. This, I believe, demonstrates Dr. Brand’s ability to lead. Another area of commendation for Dr. Brand is his work with the Special Education Program Evaluation. He has acknowledged that this is not something that Wilmington is obligated to do. However, he believes that it will ultimately benefit our students so he is going forward with it. That, to me, is the type of leadership I am looking for in a Superintendent.One of the areas that I believe Dr. Brand could improve upon is his community outreach and communication. When the final three principal candidates came to visit the Middle School and hold a forum there were very few parents present. I have spoken with numerous middle school parents who had no idea the forums were happening. I’d like to know what Dr. Brand’s plan is going forward to engage parents and families.I am looking forward to working closely with Dr. Brand and his leadership team in order to build even better schools in Wilmington.Jay SamahaLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSCHOOL COMMITTEE NOTEBOOK: 5 Things That Happened At Recent School Committee MeetingIn “Education”A VOTER’S GUIDE To The Wilmington School Committee RaceIn “Government”VIDEO: School Committee Candidate Jay Samaha Discusses His Campaign With WCTVIn “Videos”
Holey Artisan. File PhotoToday marks three years since the militant attack on Holey Artisan Bakery on road 79, Gulshan in the capital city. On 1 July 2016, members of an IS-backed militant group stormed into the restaurant and killed 22 persons there, hacking and shooting them to death. The entire country was gripped in panic. The situation is under control now. Two and a half years after the incident, the charge sheet of the case was submitted and the trial has begun.So far 60 persons have given their testimony as witnesses during 27 working days of the special anti-terrorism tribunal. The witnesses appearing in court include police members who tackled the situation from the outset, the employees who had hid in the bathroom of Holey Artisan throughout the night, Sharmeen Parveen who had been held hostage and also those who had unwittingly rented their premises to the mutants who had posed as university students.It has been learnt that there had been an exchange of fire between the militants inside Holey Artisan Bakery and the police members outside at the beginning of the incident. Two members of the police, Banani police station’s officer in charge (OC) Salahuddin and senior assistant commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police Detective Branch (DB) Rabiul Karim, were killed.However, on 18 June this year, constable of the Armed Police Battalion, Md Badsha, told the court that in the early morning when the commandos began their operation, he militants opened fire at the law enforcers for the last time. It was not known at the time if any of the militants were injured before the operation began on 2 July morning. On 21 May this year, Bhatara police station sub inspector Faruk Hossain told the court that Nibras Islam was injured in police fire in the night. On 27 May, restaurant employee Didar Hossain told the court that they were almost suffocating to death in the bathroom. The militants pulled them out in the morning and made them stand up in front of the dead bodies strewn all over.Munna Dewan informed the court that Holey Artisan chef Saiful Chowkidar and his assistant Shawon were his colleagues, employees of the restaurant, not militants. After the end of the killing and the hostage situation, at a press briefing in the army headquarters it was said that one suspect had been arrested alive. It was suspected that this was actually Shawon who had been injured with a splinter and was undergoing treatment at hospital. Saiful Chowkidar’s dead body had been lying in front of the militants. Munna Dewan had injured his leg when jumping from the roof, but he still went to see Shawon at hospital.Discrepancies in the listFaruk Ahmad is the legal counsel in this case for Rakibul Islam Regan, Aslam Hossain alias Rashed alias Rash and Shariful Islam Khaled. He repeatedly wants to drive the point home that the deaths inside Holey Artisan were caused by police fire from outside. In court, he also pointed to at last three other discrepancies.The case was filed with Gulshan police station by the police station’s sub inspector Ripon Kumar Das. He was the first witness in the case too. Investigating officer Humayun Kabir pointed to mistakes in the evidence list presented in the charge sheet. The list included 5 9mm pistols, but there were actually 2 pistols of 7.62 calibre. There other was of 9 mm caliber and one of the pistol had no hammer. And of the 28 bullets, two had marks on the back. And the AK-22 bore rifle was listed as AK-22 machine gun. It was said that there were live bullets of the AK-22. The defendants’ lawyer said there can be no scope to change the list now.It was also said that the investigating officer took written testimony from the witnesses, but so far none of the witnesses have given their testimony in writing other than one or two. Other discrepancies were also pointed out.Head of the police’s Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime unit Munirul Islam told Prothom Alo, the Holey Artisan investigations were complex. One clue led to another. In this case, the main accused ere all killed. The charge sheet was drawn up based on the confessions of those who had been arrested and documents which they provided. He says that personally he was not happy with the charge sheet. It would have been better if the accused were alive.Police submitted the charge sheet in court on 23 July last year. There were 21 persons evidently involved in the incident, 5 who had been killed on the spot. Eight more were killed in operations carried out by the law enforcement later. And 75 clues were found at the spot of the incident. There are 211 witnesses in this case and 149 of them are eye witnesses. Speaking to Prothom Alo last night, law minister Anisul Huq said the trial of the Holey Artisan case has begun as soon as possible, in keeping with all legal regulations. The government has taken this case very seriously. Prime minister Sheikh Hasina has declared zero tolerance towards corruption and militancy. In that sense, this case is extremely important to the government.