Oklahoma E coli outbreak grows to 291 cases

first_img The illnesses have been blamed on E coli O111, a much less common strain than O157:H7, the variety usually identified in outbreaks. Oklahoma officials have said they believe the outbreak is the largest one involving O111 ever reported in the United States. Most case-patients had eaten at the Country Cottage restaurant in the northeastern Oklahoma town of Locust Grove between Aug 15 and 17, the OSDH has said. The agency has not identified a specific food source for the outbreak, despite having interviewed more than 1,700 people. Health officials also were investigating a church event that was catered by the Country Cottage restaurant on Aug 16, the OSDH said in the Sep 12 update. At least 30 of 250 people who attended the event at the Bethany Free Will Baptist Church in Broken Arrow, Okla., reported they became ill with diarrhea or other, milder symptoms, the statement said. An OSDH official said last week that because investigators had not identified a specific food source in the outbreak, they suspected that a staff member who handled many foods at the buffet-style restaurant might have been infected and spread the contamination. Sep 15, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – The number of people involved in a restaurant-related outbreak of an uncommon strain of Escherichia coli has risen to 291, including 67 who were hospitalized, Oklahoma officials reported recently. Sixteen of the hospital patients have received kidney dialysis treatment, the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) reported in its latest official update on Sep 12. One person, a 26-year-old man, has died in the outbreak. The department said it did not plan to interview any more customers of the restaurant after Sep 12. See also: In investigating the church event, the OSDH was joined by the Tulsa Health Department and a team from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the agency said. Sep 12 OSDH news release Sep 10 CIDRAP News story “Unusual E coli strain sickens 231 in Oklahoma”last_img read more

I could have won more if I’d got serious: Bolt

first_imgBy Mitch PhillipsMONACO,(Reuters)-Looking back at his astonishing career on the night he was named Athlete of the Year for the sixth time, Usain Bolt said his only real regret was not taking his sport more seriously at an earlier age.“Maybe I would have been at four Olympics,” the superstar Jamaican sprinter told reporters on Friday before being crowned IAAF male Athlete of the Year again on the back of his amazing Rio de Janeiro Games sprint triple-triple in August.“The award is definitely a big deal, it proves all the hard work has paid off,” he said after Olympic 10,000 meters champion and world record holder Almaz Ayana of Ethiopia took the women’s equivalent.“The fans helped vote for this and it’s for the fans I keep doing it.”With nine Olympic golds in the drawer, Bolt plans to hang up his spikes next year after a farewell tour of his favorite venues.He will run the 100 metre only before competing at the world championships in London where he will be gunning for his 12th and 13th world titles if he goes in the relay.“When I look back the only real thing I think I would change was to have got more serious more quickly,” said Bolt.“I was relying more on my talent. If I’d got more serious I think I would have done a lot more in my career. It’s shocking but it’s true. Maybe if I’d started younger I’d have had four Olympics.”Despite his multiple titles and world records, Bolt said the race that would always have a particular place in his heart was the world junior championships in his home country when he won the 200 as a 15-year-old.“That was special,” he said. “That was the beginning. Jamaica 2002, where it all began. That was the biggest step.”However, it was a defeat five years later that made the biggest impact.Bolt took the 200 silver behind American Tyson Gay at the 2007 Osaka world championships and it was a real wake-up call.“After I lost I remember going to my coach saying, ‘I really tried my best but what can I do to win because I really need to win?’,” Bolt explained.“He said: ‘You’re slacking off in the gym. If you want to win you have to get stronger.’ So I was like ‘alright’. I knew what I needed to do and from then I took the step and just worked and worked.”SPECTACULAR STYLEWithin nine months Bolt was the 100 world record holder and weeks later blasted himself into worldwide consciousness by winning the 100 and 200 and 4×100 relay at the Beijing Olympics in spectacular style.Having found a way to win he was in no mood to stop, repeating the feat at London 2012 and, despite early season injuries, doing it again in Rio.Now 30 and with his speediest days behind him, Bolt is trimming his workrate to enjoy one last season, running a series of 100 races only.“Next year is mainly for the fans,” said Bolt who always gives up a huge amount of time to sign autographs and pose for photos every time he races.“It’s a last opportunity for some people to see me run and a chance for me to say goodbye. I’d like to go back to some of my favorite places to run, Ostrava, Lausanne, maybe Paris.”And then that will be it. The man who has carried his troubled sport, sometimes single-handed, for a decade will step aside for the next generation.There will be no Michael Phelps-style comeback at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics either.“Oh no,” he said. “My coach said, ‘Do not retire and come back, don’t ever do that’.“It’s a bit different for swimming but for most track and field athletes it never goes well.“I’m still talking to people about what I will do afterwards and I definitely want to stay involved in the sport but at the moment I am just looking forward to doing nothing,” said Bolt.last_img read more

Duo charged for armed robbery

first_imgTwenty-six-year-old Levon Cameron along with his alleged accomplice Kevin Watson, appeared before Senior Magistrate Leron Daly last week at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts after they were slapped with a joint charge of armed robbery.The duo denied the charge which stated that on December 25 at Dowding Street, Kitty, Georgetown while being together and armed with a knife, they robbed Mahadeo Sookraj of a LG cellular phone valued $40,000.Cameron was represented by Attorney Stanley Moore, who in a bail application informed the court that his client has no previous convictions, nor is he a flight risk.Meanwhile, Watson who was unrepresented, faced another charge which he also denied. That charge stated that on December 27, at the East Ruimveldt Police Outpost while being in custody for the offence of robbery under arms, he escaped from said custody.Police Prosecutor Sanj Singh, objected to Watson being granted bail on the grounds that he has other pending matters of a similar nature in another court. However, no objections were made to Cameron being granted bail.As a result, Magistrate Daly placed Cameron on $40,000 bail while Watson was remanded. The case will continue on 25, 2019.last_img read more