Marburg fever, for which there is no vaccine or cure, spreads through contact with bodily fluids of infected people. Resembling the deadly Ebola fever, Marburg causes severe diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, severe chest pain, sore throat, and cough. In later stages it leads to bleeding. The governor of Uige province in northern Angola, the center of the outbreak, said the province alone has had 150 cases, including 142 deaths, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report today. The largest previous Marburg outbreak, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, involved 149 cases with 123 deaths from 1998 to 2000. Chaib also said two suspected cases have been reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which borders Angola, AFP reported. Previous reports said that about 75% of the patients were children, but the latest reports have not given any information about the age range. In a statement today, the World Health Organization (WHO) put the size of the outbreak at 140 cases with 132 deaths as of yesterday. Just yesterday the WHO reported 132 cases with 127 deaths and said the case-patients included 12 healthcare workers. More staff members from the WHO and its Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network were due to arrive in Angola this weekend, the WHO said. The agency also has sent personal protective equipment and mobile communication field kits. Mar 31 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_03_31a/en/ See also: Apr 1, 2005 (CIDRAP News) The Marburg hemorrhagic fever outbreak in Angola has killed more people than the largest previous outbreak of the disease and is continuing to spread, according to the latest reports. Nine people have been isolated in an Italian hospital because of possible exposure to the virus, according to another AFP report published today. WHO spokeswoman Fadela Chaib in Geneva, who reported the situation, did not name the hospital or list the nationalities of the nine people. Apr 1 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_04_01/en/ Yesterday the WHO said mobile surveillance teams had been set up and were checking rumors of cases in Uige province. A mobile field laboratory from Canada began operating today, and a dedicated isolation facility operated by Medicins sans Frontieres was preparing to receive patients identified by the surveillance teams, the agency said.
Kawhi Leonard, Clippers rally to beat Pelicans ‘I’m out!’: PewDiePie releases last video before taking break from YouTube LeBron loses ‘best teammate’ Jones to Suns LeBron James scores 31 points, Lakers beat Rockets SEA Games: Kim Mangrobang wins gold anew as Filipinos secure triathlon double sweep PLAY LIST 01:05SEA Games: Kim Mangrobang wins gold anew as Filipinos secure triathlon double sweep01:05SEA Games: Agatha Wong defends wushu title, scores 2nd gold for PH02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ View comments Indian national gunned down in Camarines Sur 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Croatia’s Ivo Karlovic returns a ball to Britain’s Aljaz Bedene during their Men’s Singles Match on day one at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London Monday, July 3, 2017. (Gareth Fuller/PA via AP)NEWPORT, R.I. — Defending champion Ivo Karlovic of Croatia beat American Denis Kudla 6-4, 6-4 on Wednesday in his Hall of Fame Tennis Championships opener to reach the quarterfinals in the grass-court event.The 38-year-old Karlovic had 16 aces and broke Kudla’s serve three times. Karlovic will face Germany’s Peter Gojowczyk, a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 winner over Russia’s Konstantin Kravchuk.ADVERTISEMENT End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend MOST READ IT happens: Facebook sorry for Xi Jinping’s name mistranslation LATEST STORIES McGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return Top-seeded John Isner, the big-serving American who won Newport titles in 2011 and 2012, used 13 aces to beat Australia’s Sam Groth 6-2, 6-4. Isner will play fellow American Dennis Novikov, a 6-3, 6-2 winner over Canada’s Frank Dancevic.American Bjorn Fratangelo also advanced, beating Australia’s Akira Santillan 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-1.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Two seeded players lost. Tobias Kamke of Germany edged No. 3 Adrian Mannarino, the Frenchman who reached the round of 16 at Wimbledon, 7-6 (5), 7-5, and Australian qualifier Matthew Ebden beat No. 6 Lukas Lacko of Slovakia 6-1, 7-6 (2).No. 4 Pierre-Hugues Herbert of France’s battled past Spain’s Adrian Menendez-Maceiras 7-5, 2-6, 6-3.