Death toll from garbage dump landslide reaches 32

A fire had also broken out at the site and the Air Force was deployed to douse the flame. Several houses were buried after the massive garbage mountain collapsed on Friday. The death toll from a landslide of a garbage dump in Sri Lanka rose to 32 on Wednesday with eight others still missing, the Xinhua news agency reported.The Disaster Management Center said the search and rescue operations at the site of the Meethotamulla garbage dumping site were still continuing. Residents of the area have been protesting over the past months, urging the authorities to move the garbage to another location.The government said there would be no more dumping of garbage at Meethotamulla following the tragedy. Deputy Foreign Minister Harsha de Silva said over the weekend that a problem running for decades, perhaps as long as 20 years, came to a head with the collapse of a part of the garbage mountain.He said it was unfortunate that even though payments had been made for those families under risk of landslides to move out, some had not done so.President Maithripala Sirisena has instructed officials to provide maximum relief to the people who were affected by the disaster. read more

5 things to watch for Ohio State v Florida AM

Redshirt-junior cornerback Bradley Roby warms up before a game against California Sept. 14 at California Memorial Stadium. OSU won, 52-34.Credit: Eric Seger / Sports editor1. The return of Carlos HydeAfter serving a three game suspension for his involvement in an incident at a Columbus bar in July, senior running back Carlos Hyde is set to make his return against Florida A&M. Hyde rushed for 970 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2012, and was set to return as Ohio State’s top running back heading into the year. While Hyde was serving his suspension, redshirt-senior running back Jordan Hall stepped up in a big way, and will start against Florida A&M while Hyde is left on the bench. Coach Urban Meyer has said he does not know who will be getting the majority of carries, so both backs are heading into the game shrouded in some mystery. Other running backs like freshman Dontre Wilson and redshirt-junior Rod Smith may see a reduced role compared to previous weeks because of Hyde’s return to the field. 3. How much playing time will Braxton Miller get?Arguably the biggest storyline heading into Saturday is whether junior quarterback Braxton Miller or redshirt-senior Kenny Guiton gets the starting bid to lead the Buckeye offense. Meyer said Miller will play a limited role against FAMU, but it will be interesting to see how it figures into the equation against a Football Championship Subdivision team. Guiton has led OSU to a pair of wins in his absence, playing well enough to be named the Walter Camp Offensive Player of the Week after his performance against California. Meyer said his backup “has earned some time,” and in a game OSU should win, it is likely that keeping Miller out of harms way will be a top priority for the coaches. 2. Can Bradley Roby bounce back?Redshirt-junior cornerback Bradley Roby is typically a rock for the OSU secondary and is considered one of the top defensive players in the country. But against California he was burned by the speedy Golden Bear receivers, allowing two touchdowns in his first start of the season. After serving a one game suspension to start the year for his involvement in an incident at a Bloomington, Ind., bar this summer, Roby made a triumphant return against San Diego State the week before, but seemed to be in a funk against Cal. With the Big Ten schedule looming, Roby will need to be at his best if the Buckeyes are going to achieve their National Championship goals for the season. Playing well before next week’s date with Wisconsin Sept. 28 will be vital for Roby’s (and OSU’s) defensive confidence. 4. Will OSU take this game seriously?After winning a primetime game last weekend at Cal, the Buckeyes return home for a noon matchup against the Rattlers. With another night game on the horizon just a week later when conference rival Wisconsin comes to Columbus, OSU’s focus on taking care of the task at hand is worth watching. Redshirt-senior safety C.J. Barnett said the team has all of their focus on FAMU, but if the Buckeyes score early and often Saturday, Meyer and company may have to work to keep them locked in to close out the victory. 5. How many points with OSU score?The Buckeyes are averaging nearly 45 points a game so far in 2013, while the Rattlers are only putting up an average of 18 a game. OSU’s young defensive players are improving with every game, and against a FAMU offense that has been struggling, Miller and company should get plenty of possessions. How much Meyer forces the issue offensively against the Rattlers will be vindictive of how much OSU visits the end zone, but scoring more than 50 points again is certainly not out of the realm of possibilities. read more

If the public see police under attack they should do something physical

The public should be “getting involved” and “do something physical” if they see a police officer being attacked, according to the Met Police’s commissioner. Cressida Dick said the recent trend of people filming attacks on police and mockingly posting the footage online was “absolutely awful”.She said: “Officers getting assaulted and people thinking that’s funny and putting it on the internet – I think that’s disgusting.”Last month a video of two officers being attacked in Merton, south London, was shared thousands of times after a passing driver stopped to film the assault and posted it on Twitter with the caption “south London at night…lol”.The officers had stopped a car and were attempting to arrest the three occupants, but one ended up being dragged around in the road while the other took a flying kick to the chest and landed feet from the path of a moving bus.Eventually they arrested one of the men with the help of a passing motorcyclist. In September, 122 traffic officers were seconded to the Met’s Violent Crime Taskforce to boost its numbers to 272 for an initial three months.Force bosses now plan to keep the officers in place for longer, although they have not given a time period.The Met’s Roads and Transport Command has around 2,300 officers at full strength and is the largest police unit in the UK. “People stand up and say ‘that’s not right, don’t do that’ and on occasion, if they feel able, get involved and do something physical.”You have to look at the circumstances.”If there’s a man pointing a gun at you we don’t want you running at the man pointing the gun, that would be crazy.”If you see an officer getting a kicking and you feel able to assist, absolutely I want my public getting involved, and we see people getting involved, including in some of those videos.”We don’t want people taking crazy risks, we do want people getting involved.”In the wake of the Merton attack, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation Ken Marsh warned that officers might be forced to let violent suspects go.He said: “Are we now in a society where, if we think we can’t detain somebody, we just let them go? It’s just not worth it.”We’re going to come to a point where we’re going to start pushing messages out to our colleagues, ‘Risk-assess it dynamically and, if you think you can’t detain a person, just let them go’.”We don’t come to work to get assaulted, and if we’re not going to be backed up in what we’re doing then what is the point?” The male officer suffered cuts and the female officer was left with head injuries after the assault.’Tide is turning’ against rise in violent crime, insists Met commissionerMetropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick has insisted the tide is turning against the rise in violent crime.So far in the capital this year there have been 123 homicides, more than the 118 in the whole of last year, not including the victims of terrorist attacks.But Ms Dick told LBC that after three years of gun and knife crime increasing, the rate is now starting to level off and come down.Figures released by Scotland Yard on Tuesday showed that in September, October and November this year there were 176 fewer victims of knife crime with injury aged under 25 than in the same three months in 2017, a 31% reduction.Over the course of a year, there has been a drop of 287 victims, a 13% decrease.The Commissioner told Nick Ferrari: “After three years of knife crime increasing, gun crime increasing, they are now not just levelling off but beginning to come down.”These aren’t huge changes. I think, however, we are suppressing it.” She said she was “sickened” by the grim list of homicides this year and wants to see the number reduce. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Ms Dick encouraged members of the public to step in if they see a police officer being attacked and feel they can help.She said: “I think I want to live in a society, and I think I do live in a society, where people are active citizens. read more