– voters question CCJ’s impartiality and fairnessDear Editor,Voters feel that the Guyana Government’s appeal (led by the People’s National Congress (PNC)) at the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) is to prevent Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo from seeking another term as President. Jagdeo is enormously popular, and the poll reveals if he were the Presidential Candidate of the Opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP), he would win handsomely against any opponent (including incumbent President David Granger) of the ruling PNC-led coalition. This is one of several findings of an ongoing opinion tracking poll being conducted by the North American Caribbean Teachers Association (NACTA).The Constitution bars a person from running for President for more than two five-year terms. Jagdeo served as President for two terms, and it was during his Presidency that the two-term law came into effect with his signature. A voter challenged the law as unconstitutional and the Guyana courts ruled in his favour. The Guyana courts ruled that term limits have to be approved by the voters in a referendum. The PNC-led coalition Government disagreed and appealed the ruling at the CCJ. The Government has been unwilling to take a risk with a referendum that could be rejected by voters given the immense popularity of Jagdeo. The appeal came to be known as the Third Term Case. The full seven Judges (four blacks, two mixed and one white) of the CCJ is due to rule on Tuesday.The CCJ’s prospective ruling has been embroiled in controversy. Indo-Guyanese complain there are no Indian Judges on the bench. And a few months ago, right after the matter was heard at the CCJ, it was reported in the media that members of Guyana’s Cabinet and other officials of the Government said they had “inside information” that the CCJ would rule against Jagdeo seeking a third term. The officials of the Government were also heard saying that the CCJ which has no Indian Judges, would rule based on “race” to deny Indians equitable space in Guyana and the Caribbean. The media further reported that several CCJ Judges were friendly with officials of the Government, and one of them was frequently seen in Guyana socialising with Cabinet members and other officials of the Government. And there was a reported conflict of interest with the CCJ President’s (Chief Justice) assistant (an Afro-Guyanese) who is the grandson of the Chairman of Guyana’s Election Commission (James Patterson) whose appointment itself is mired in controversy and before the Guyana courts.Voters in the latest survey say the CCJ and the case itself have become “too politicised” causing them to lose faith and confidence in the independence of the Judges and the court. A large majority said the whole third term appeal is to prevent Jagdeo from running because the ruling coalition cannot defeat Jagdeo in a free and fair election. A majority said the Government has gone to the CCJ because it is not confident it can win a referendum on the issue. And half of the respondents in the survey say the court would not render a fair and impartial verdict in the third term matter.Asked whether Jagdeo should be able to run again for another term as President, almost every supporter of the PPP answered in the affirmative. Traditional supporters of the PNC and those who once supported the Alliance For Change are divided on the issue. A large majority say Jagdeo would win a free and fair election if he were the PPP’s nominee.Asked if the third term issue should be settled by a referendum allowing voters to decide on the issue, rather than having the CCJ deciding the issue, almost everyone said yes.Yours truly,Vishnu Bisram
…tells PUC only 27 power outages recorded last year as it boasts service improvement plansSome 12 “large customers” who are on the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) grid contributed to robbing the State entity of some $150 million in 2017.This figure was revealed during a hearing of the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) on Tuesday when the power company during a presentation announced several measures to combat losses.Defects on generators and electricity theft were two of the major issues GPL faced last year. GPL Company Secretary Lorain Bancroft said that the entity was working with Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) leaders to discourage theft practices rather than pursue prosecution in the courts. She, however, indicated that the persons or entities engaging in the practice could face the legal system.“We will continue to review this process, because under the law, it is found once you have tampered with our meters or our apparatus, then it’s a criminal offence, so we have to ensure that evidence chain is concretised and established,” she noted.Bancroft added that GPL continued to encourage members of the public to discourage “illegal divergence of electricity”. She indicated that the State entity intended to set up linkages with the Government Inspectorate to this end, adding that GPL would continue to work with stakeholders, including the Guyana Police Force.The Commissioners also heard that GPL was working on testing and replacing defective meters. It announced that some 20,000 meters would be replaced by the end of this year.Other measures GPL announced to improve its service include splitting existing feeders, rehabilitation of its distribution networks and additional power generation plants at Canefield, Edinburgh, Anna Regina and Bartica.
Blaine ‘Cannonball’ Richter won the Blizzard 40 km Cecil lake time trial, Sunday, with a time of 58:59 minutes. Pat Ferris was second at 1:01:05 hours and Bob Andrews third at 1:04:51. Roger St. Jean was 4th at 1:05:28 and Sam Keats 5th at 1:11:03. Other times were Ken Nix at 1:15:58, Richard Wood 1:13:27, Owen Giebelhaus 1:17:37, Calvin Bell 1:22:53, Bill Lindsay 1:24:47 and Tania Bell 1:24:48. In the 20 km distance Adam Bilodeau had 38:14 and Hilda Bilodeau 43:20. This event serves as the Blizzards World Masters Time Trial Challenge event. The Blizzards will have to wait, however, and the times calculated for age bonuses and will be compared with the other international clubs as they do their events over the next two months. A group of Blizzards are doing the Prince George triathlon, this weekend, and Stephen Ferris is in Vancouver doing the Tour of White rock as part of the Superweek Series. Coming up: -Baldonnel time trial Thursday at 7 pm. -The Terry Stone Memorial race and ride will be happening at Hudson’s Hope next Sunday at 10:00 am. -The Zone 8 BC Summer Games team leaves for Kelowna, Wednesday, with Kendra Young, Adam Bilodeau cycling and Trisha Gladysz and Stephen Ferris coaching. -Colter Young is leaving to do the Tour d’ Abitibi as part of the Alberta Junior Team.- Advertisement –
“This is a gang of cowards. They hide behind undocumented workers, undocumented Mexican nationals and children who they hire to do their drug dealing for them.” The 31 men and women arrested, mostly in their 30s and 40s, were described as top-ranking members of the gang. Mostly Mexican nationals, more than half are wanted for immigration violations. They were arrested over several months as LAPD investigators gathered leads from addicts, surveillance cameras downtown and undercover work. Pedro Sanchez-Limon, 43, a Mexican national who was once deported, was named as the mastermind and main supplier. Alberto “El Morro” Blanco, 36, ran the drugs, and Jaime Chacon Diaz, 36, or “Archie,” kept the books, police said. Both are also Mexican nationals. All are in custody and face sentences of 10 to 15 years, on average. A sophisticated drug-dealing operation – started by day laborers in the early 1970s and eventually dominating the Skid Row heroin trade – has been dismantled after a 10-month undercover investigation, police said Wednesday. Using an intricate network of children, street vendors, immigrant women and criminal thugs to serve as lookouts, packagers and dealers, the 5th and Hill Gang built up a multimillion-dollar heroin business on Skid Row. At a morning news conference, police announced the arrest of 31 people, many of whom operated out of suburban homes in the San Fernando Valley, Fontana and South Los Angeles. “We really believe we have taken the head off the 5th and Hill Gang. What’s left is the youngsters you will see running around out there, writing on walls and whatnot,” said Capt. Andrew Smith, head of the LAPD’s Central Division. Along with the arrests, police seized 85 pounds of heroin worth about $1.5 million; $25,000 in cash; 10 guns; 3 pounds of methamphetamine and 5 pounds of cocaine. The enterprise started in the early 1970s at 5th and Hill streets, where day laborers gathered at the time to find work. After a number of the laborers were mugged, the group banded together for protection, police said. Starting with minor drugs, the 5th and Hill gang expanded into the heroin trade in the 1980s and later distributed cocaine and methamphetamine, officials said. Police said the gang used immigrant women who worked long hours in suburban homes in factory-like conditions, stuffing heroin in balloons and packaging them for transport downtown, where addicts from throughout the Southland would come to buy drugs. Also on the gang’s payroll were street vendors who could hide the drugs in food stands, and children as young as 12 who would sell drugs and alert dealers to approaching police, officials said. “As Chief Bratton mentioned, 2007 is the year of the gang and for us in downtown Los Angeles, 5th and Hill is the gang of the year,” Smith said. With pressure mounting from downtown power brokers, the LAPD last fall launched an aggressive effort to rid Skid Row of crime and blight. “Without question we are seeing a dramatic decrease in the number of sidewalk open-air drug sales and use,” said Estela Lopez, executive director of the Central City East Association, representing 1,600 business in and around Skid Row. “It doesn’t mean it’s eliminated. Until you get to the root of drug supply, Skid Row will be a continual venue of death.” Despite the drop in crime, civil-rights groups and homeless advocates say the crackdown has come at a cost to the homeless in the area. Recently, the American Civil Liberties Union requested a state judge to extend a three-year injunction restricting the LAPD’s ability to carry out searches in Skid Row. But police say they are not targeting individual addicts or homeless. “What we are trying to do is create an environment down here where people can recover – a recovery zone,” Smith said. “We are doing that by going after drug dealers, the people that bring narcotics into downtown. Our efforts are clearly to go after the big fish.” But those who work with addicts downtown say they are unsure if there is less heroin or cocaine along Skid Row. They only know there are fewer addicts. “I have never heard of the (5th and Hill) gang, but the people that need recovery right now are being jailed,” said James Hundley, coordinator of the needle exchange program on Skid Row for Homeless Health Care Los Angeles. Many of the small-time addicts who would normally get treatment are being rounded up by officers, changing his client base, Hundley said. Over the past few months, he said, his once mostly African-American and Latino client base has shrunk and now is made up of mostly white addicts. “I don’t think that criminalizing the situation is going to solve it.” email@example.com (818) 713-3741160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Businesses in Donegal interested in exploring opportunities to do business through the Diaspora, will get a superb insight into the benefits of networking at a free business event tomorrow morning as part of Local Enterprise Week.Keynote speaker Kingsley Aikins will be in The Silver Tassie on Wednesday March 7 for ‘Our Diaspora – Opportunities for Business’ an interactive and motivational session that will give businesses the practical tools to engage successfully with the Diaspora.Kingsley is founder and CEO of Diaspora Matters; a Dublin based Consultancy Company that advises countries, cities, regions, companies and organisations on how to develop strategies to connect with their Diasporas. He is a recognised expert on Networking and has written and spoken extensively on the topic and has run workshops and online/offline Networking Training Programmes for Google, Linkedin, Accenture, Intel, PwC, KPMG and a number of the leading law firms in Dublin. According to Kingsley, networking can be the “nudge” factor that can become the difference between success and failure.“The workshop will focus on the process of engagement as well as the importance of networking and will identify best practice models in other countries reviewing strategies that worked well and those that did not.By the time they have left, businesses will feel enthusiastic about exploring the opportunity to connect with our Diaspora as a means of developing their business,” said Michael Tunney, Head of Enterprise in Donegal.Wednesday morning’s event starting at 8.30am is just one from a packed week the week and Mr Tunney, said the Local Enterprise Office is delighted to once again to have some fantastic local, national and international speakers bringing their expertise and experience to the county. “We are certain that there will be terrific learning and networking opportunities for businesses every day,” he added. Indeed there are events to pick from at locations right around Donegal and all are free to attend. To book events, log on to www.localenterprise.ie/donegal or send an e.mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0749160735. Local Enterprise Office Donegal is supported through co-funding from the Irish Government and the European Regional Development Fund 2014 – 2020.Enterprise Week: Key business event to highlight benefits of networking was last modified: March 6th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT REVEALED targets Latest Tottenham News REVEALED possible standings Vertonghen reached the World Cup semi-final with Belgium in the summer BIG PRESENTS UP TOP Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January OFF gameday cracker Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Vertonghen expects his club to activate that option.“My contract is expiring at the end of the season, but Tottenham have an option to extend it with one year,” he explained.“I think they will take up the option. We’ll see what happens.”The Belgian is currently 31 years old (turns 32 in April) and has starred for both club and country in recent months. Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? punished How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures Tottenham issue immediate ban to supporter who threw cup at Kepa Redknapp calls Son ‘petulant’, but Holloway says red card for Rudiger kick was ‘soft’ Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen thinks he will still be at the club come 2020.The centre-back’s contract is set to expire at the end of the current campaign, though Spurs have an option to extend it by a further year. smart causal no dice 1 What every Premier League club’s fans dream of this Christmas
THE boys of Gaelscoil Adhamhnáin in Letterkenny are celebrating today after being crowned Cumann na mBunscol county champions.A stunning display in Convoy yesterday saw the boys lift the championship, beating Scoil Mhuire Stranorlar by six points.In the girls final Lurgybrack beat the girls of Stranorlar. But the displays of both Scoil Mhuire teams were commendable – finalists in both sections in 2011. (Pix by Brian McGeehin).* Send your pictures and news to email@example.com PICTURE GALLERY: VICTORY FOR GAELSCOIL ADHAMHNÁIN IN COUNTY FINAL was last modified: May 14th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
DES MOINES, Iowa – The Drake University women’s tennis team wraps up the non-conference season on Thursday at 1 p.m. when the Bulldogs welcome the Saint Louis Billikins to the Roger Knapp Tennis Center. The Billikins come to Des Moines on a 12-match winning streak, holding a 17-3 record. Saint Louis has six players with 13 or more dual match singles wins and are led by Aspen Cervin, who has a 18-2 record at the No. 1 spot. The Bulldogs return to conference play on this weekend when they travel to Missouri State on Saturday and Wichita State on Sunday. Print Friendly Version The Bulldogs have won four of their last five matches and fell to Iowa last week in their last time out. Drake has been impressive in the friendly confines of the Roger Knapp Tennis Center as the Bulldogs are 8-3 at home. Senior Maddie Johnson leads the team with a 9-3 singles record. Freshman Joely Lomas has the team’s best doubles record with a 11-3 mark.
The Drake University men’s basketball team spent part of its off day on Jan. 12 at nearby Oak Park Elementary meeting fifth-graders that the team has been interacting with this year. Throughout the year, the men’s and women’s basketball teams have been paired with penpals.Both parties have formed bonds with each other through their correspondence before finally meeting in person for the first time. The relationship between the teams and the students was first forged by former women’s basketball student-athlete Emma Donahue, a teacher at the school.Watch the video and view the photo gallery to learn more about the day and the Bulldogs’ continued mentorship of the students. Print Friendly Version
Click here if you are unable to view this gallery on a mobile device.ALAMEDA — The clock starts now.All the ticking that was supposedly going on around draft time regarding the future of Derek Carr with the Raiders was nonsense, speculation devoid of logic and common sense.Carr had adapted and learned coach Jon Gruden’s system of football well enough that there was no thought given to drafting an immediate replacement. Certainly not after a single season, and under a coach who has no track …