Detmers Named Golden Spikes Award Semifinalist

first_imgThe Cardinals are back in action on Thursday for the start of a three-game series against Florida State to wrap up the regular season. First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 p.m., ET at Jim Patterson Stadium. Throughout the 2019 season, Detmers has etched his name throughout the Louisville record book becoming the 13th player to reach 10 wins in a season and currently sitting fifth on the single season strikeout chart. LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Continuing his year-long run of accolades, Louisville baseball starting pitcher Reid Detmers was named a Golden Spikes Award semifinalist by USA Baseball on Wednesday. Fans will have the ability to vote on the finalists at GoldenSpikesAward.com rom May 15-26. Selections made by the voting body of 200 members will carry a 95% weight of each athlete’s total, while fan votes will account for the remaining 5%. Fans are allowed to vote up to 25 times per day. Presented in partnership with the Rod Dedeaux Foundation, the 42nd Golden Spikes Award winner will be announced on June 14 at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska. The finalists will then be announced on Wednesday, May 29. Detmers is one of 25 semifinalists and the only player from the ACC. The sophomore is the 12th player in program history to be a semifinalist and the first since Drew Ellis and Brendan McKay in 2017. McKay won the Golden Spikes Award that season. Detmers has been at the forefront of the Louisville pitching staff that leads the ACC in ERA, WHIP, strikeout-to-walk ratio, shutouts and hits allowed per nine innings. Golden Spikes Award Semifinalists Story Links Detmers drew the opening day start for the Cardinals this season and has been among the best pitchers in the country. The lefthander enters the final series of the regular season at 10-2 with a 2.59 ERA and 127 strikeouts, leading the ACC in all three categories. Golden Spikes Award Fan Voting Name, Class, Position, School, ConferenceHunter Bishop, Jr., OF, Arizona St., Pac-12JJ Bleday, Jr., OF, Vanderbilt, SECIsaiah Campbell, RS-Jr., P, Arkansas, SECReid Detmers, So., P, Louisville, ACCJohn Doxakis, Jr., P, Texas A&M, SECRyan Garcia, Jr., P, UCLA, Pac-12Nick Gonzales, So., IF, New Mexico St., WACEmerson Hancock, So., P, Georgia, SECKody Hoese, Jr., IF, Tulane, AACJosh Jung, Jr., IF, Texas Tech, Big 12George Kirby, Jr., P, Elon, CAAAsa Lacy, So., P, Texas A&M, SECJake Mangum, Sr., OF, Mississippi St., SECAlek Manoah, Jr., P, West Virginia, Big 12Austin Martin, So., IF, Vanderbilt, SECJackson Rutledge, So., P, San Jacinto, Region XIVAdley Rutschman, Jr., C, Oregon St., Pac-12T.J. Sikkema, Jr., P, Missouri, SECEthan Small, RS-Jr., P, Mississippi St., SECNoah Song, Sr., P, Navy, PatriotBryson Stott, Jr., IF, UNLV, MWCZack Thompson, Jr., P, Kentucky, SECSpencer Torkelson, So., IF, Arizona St., Pac-12Andrew Vaughn, Jr., IF, California, Pac-12Bobby Witt Jr., HS-Sr., IF, Colleyville-Heritage High School Print Friendly Version Following a dominant start to the season, Detmers was named the Midseason National Pitcher of the Year by Perfect Game and Midseason Top Pitcher by D1Baseball. The Chatham, Illinois, native seven starts with double digit strikeouts and has allowed one hit or fewer on four occasions, including taking a no-hitter into the eighth inning against Brown and James Madison.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *