RSF-TV5MONDE Prize goes to Polish reporter, Tomasz Piatek, Iranian photographer Soheil Arabi and Turkish Web TV Medyascope TV

first_imgNews Follow the news on Europe – Central Asia November 7, 2017 – Updated on November 8, 2017 RSF-TV5MONDE Prize goes to Polish reporter, Tomasz Piatek, Iranian photographer Soheil Arabi and Turkish Web TV Medyascope TV PolandTurkeyIranFranceEurope – Central AsiaMiddle East – North Africa Events ImprisonedFreedom of expressionRSF PrizeCitizen-journalists News Respect judicial independence in cases of two leading journalists in Serbia and Montenegro, RSF says to go further Help by sharing this information PolandTurkeyIranFranceEurope – Central AsiaMiddle East – North Africa Events ImprisonedFreedom of expressionRSF PrizeCitizen-journalists June 7, 2021 Find out more June 8, 2021 Find out more Organisation RSF_en RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says News From a list of 18 nominees, the jury awarded this year’s prize to Polish investigative reporter Tomasz Piatek in the “journalist” category, Turkish web TV Medyascopein the “media” category, and imprisoned Iranian photographer Soheil Arabi in the“citizen-journalist” category.“Journalist” category laureate Tomasz Piatek is an investigative reporter for the Warsaw-based daily Gazeta Wyborcza who is facing a possible three-year jail termon charges brought by defence minister Antoni Macierewicz before a military court.They were prompted by a book entitled “Macierewicz and his secret” that sheds light on the minister’s relations with persons linked to the Russian intelligence services. Ever since its publication, Piatek has been the target of attacks in the pro-government media and has been getting serious threats.“Media” category laureate Medyascope is an independent Web TV launched in2015 by leading Turkish journalist Ruşen Çakır with the aim of combining newtechnology with better reporting standards to reopen a public debate now largely suppressed in Turkey, which is ranked 155th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. It uses videos that are broadcast online and are made available as podcasts to give a voice to journalists sidelined by the government’s crackdown, and to citizen-journalists. Its programmes are now quite structured and include sections on a wide range of subjects such as politics, society, culture and sport. Some of its programmes are available in Kurdish, German, French and English. They include a weekly English-language podcast called “This Week in Turkey.”“Citizen-journalist” category laureate Soheil Arabi is a Tehran-based photographer who was has been imprisoned since December 2013. After his arrest, he was mistreated and subjected to solitary confinement for two months to force him to confess to involvement in creating a Facebook network that “blasphemed” Islam and criticized the government. A long judicial saga ensued in which he was initially sentenced him to three years inprison, 30 lashes and a heavy fine. A few months later, he was retried and sentenced to death, but the death sentence was eventually overturned and in September 2015 he was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison. In July of this year, his wife was arrested and was held for eight days, and she is still being subjected to threatsand harassment. Soheil Arabi began a hunger strike at the end of August.Laureates Tomasz Piatek and Ruşen Çakır, RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire, Strasbourg mayor Roland Ries and TV5MONDE editor-in- chief Paul Germain were among those attending these evening’s award ceremony in Strasbourg, whichwas hosted by TV journalist Bernard de la Villardière. The guest of honour was Loup Bureau, a young French freelance reporter who was held for seven weeks in Turkey earlier this year. RSF waged an intensive campaign on his behalf until he was released. Receive email alerts News The names of the winners of the 2017 Reporters Without Borders (RSF) and TV5MONDE Press Freedom Prize were unveiled at a ceremony held this evening inStrasbourg as part of the World Forum for Democracy in partnership with the Cityof Strasbourg. June 4, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Tips on how to discuss topics surrounding racism with your children

first_img(WBNG) — With protests for the Black Lives Matter movement in all 50 states, parents may find themselves having to explain to children not only what is going on in society, but why it’s all happening. If you’re a parent and you don’t have all the answers, experts say that’s okay. Discussions on racism don’t just happen once, experts suggest looking at it as an ongoing conversation. “Parents need to consistently think about addressing tough issues that kids need to be brought up thinking about, questioning, and being critical about. Racism is certainly one of those issues,” said Bronstein. In these discussions, experts encourage parents to challenge children. Bronstein says children are curious and it’s important for them to ask questions about why these issues are happening. While children learn about subjects like racism, and the United States’ history of slavery, Bronstein says education on these topics should continue outside the classroom. In the end, if parents witness behavior from their children that may be offensive, Bronstein encourages parents to hold children accountable. “We often are afraid to address differences, but I think it’s important to address differences,” said Binghamton University College of Community and Public Affairs Dean Laura Bronstein. “There are differences, and yes, all people have their strengths and all people are valued.” “If you don’t know, be able to say ‘I don’t know, but you know what? That’s a good question, I’m going to find out the answer to that and get back to you,’ or ‘We’re going to explore it together,'” said Bronstein. “To be saying something that is hurtful, and then ask them, ‘Where did you get that thinking from?” said Bronstein. “Help deconstruct that for them.”last_img read more

Weepy Advocaat silent over future

first_img Press Association “If I stop this will be the last job, and (if I continue) it will be this one.” What the future held for himself, Advocaat challenged the Mackems to build on their achievements. He added: “This is the moment for Sunderland Football Club to do something also. You cannot buy eight players for £40million, so you have to try to get more quality into the squad and make the team stronger. “We have to be very proud of our chairman and what he is doing but the quality was not always there. Now hopefully he can start on a new set-up, bringing more players of quality than he did in the past.” Despite Sunderland’s resolute defending and threat on the counter attack, Arsenal had created enough chances to put the match beyond them. Gunners boss Arsene Wenger was left frustrated following another night where his men dominated possession but could not convert their superiority, having now failed to score at the Emirates Stadium for a third successive match. Arsenal, though, remain in third place, and with a three-point lead over Manchester United and superior goal difference are all but guaranteed automatic Champions League qualification. “We dominated possession and we lacked a bit of sharpness in our movement, in the way we prepared our chances and in our finishing as well,” said Wenger. “Physically it was an intense game on Sunday (at Manchester United) from what we have analysed and we were a bit jaded tonight. “We haven’t scored in the last three games at home and the fact that we couldn’t score played a big part in our spontaneous attitude when finishing.” Wenger added: “You have to expect your opponent to play well and you to be good enough to beat them despite that. “Now we know that the point we took at Manchester United was vital. Had we lost that game then we would be in trouble. “We are in a strong position now to finish in the top three. “It’s important to win on Sunday and give a good final game to our fans, after that we need to prepare for the FA Cup final.” Midfielder Jack Wilshere is expected to be in the England squad announced on Thursday, having made a first start since November. Wenger, though, confirmed forward Danny Welbeck would be a doubt because of an ongoing knee problem. “Welbeck has a test on Saturday or Sunday. We’ll know more about it then,” he said. The Dutchman was in tears at the final whistle after the Black Cats battled to a 0-0 draw, which was enough to avoid a nervous final day of the season at champions Chelsea on Sunday with Hull and Newcastle now left to scrap it out for survival. It is a remarkable achievement under the former Rangers boss, who presided over an upturn in form with 12 points from eight matches in charge to protect his record of never having been relegated. “We have always said it was not about me, it was everybody involved, from the president to the people in the office and the team,” said Advocaat, as he again welled up when speaking in the post-match press conference. “The team believed in what we were trying to do from day one, but nobody believed we would do it here against a great team. “I always told them to believe in their quality. “To have done it on our own, this gives me a special feeling.” The former Dutch manager continued: “The emotions came when my friend Bert van Lingen (Sunderland assistant coach), we have done 25 years everything together, when he arrived on to the pitch and he started crying then. I did the same but he said ‘let it go’, and I said, ‘okay, why not’.” The 67-year-old, though, would not confirm whether he had yet decided to stay on in Wearside. Asked what it would take for him to remain in charge, Advocaat said: “I give an answer on that next week, sorry. “If you don’t mind, I will keep that (reasons) for myself. I have to think about everything. Dick Advocaat fought back tears as he paid an emotional tribute to everyone who helped Sunderland stay in the Barclays Premier League after securing a point at Arsenal, but will delay a decision on his own future until next week. last_img read more

Women of Troy advance to Final Four

first_imgIt is often difficult to defeat a team three times in one season.Fortunately for No. 6 USC women’s volleyball, this proved to be true for No. 3 Stanford.After losing both regular season matches to the Cardinal, the Women of Troy were able to win when it mattered most, defeating Stanford and earning a spot in the Final Four.USC won Saturday’s Elite Eight match in Dayton, Ohio, in five sets, 20-25, 25-17, 22-25, 26-24 and 16-14.Freshman outside hitter Falyn Fonoimoana showed why she was worthy of her Pac-10 Freshman of the Year title, recording a team-high 25 kills in the match, along with four blocks. Fellow outside hitter Alex Jupiter added 22 kills, while middle blocker Lauren Williams had 13.In October, Stanford handed the Women of Troy their second loss of the season with a four-set win at the Galen Center. The Cardinal also swept USC in Palo Alto when the teams met again a month later.USC advanced to Saturday’s game after sweeping Indiana on Friday night. The Women of Troy opened the tournament last weekend with a three-game sweep of New Mexico, followed by a four-set win against San Diego to make it back to the Sweet 16. Both of these first two games were at the Galen Center.The Women of Troy have now won 15 of their last 16 matches.USC joins the No. 4 Penn State Nittany Lions in the Final Four. The Women of Troy will face off against the winner of Saturday’s match between two Pac-10 teams, No. 7 California and Washington. The fourth and final spot will be occupied by either No. 9 Texas or No. 16 Purdue.The Final Four will take place next weekend in Kansas City. If USC comes away with a victory on Thursday, it will advance to the NCAA championship game Saturday, Dec. 18 at 5:30 p.m. PST, which will be aired on ESPN2.last_img read more

888 confirms Mark Summerfield as Audit Chair

first_img 888 appoints VC expert Limor Ganot as a corporate advisor July 20, 2020 Gamesys tops list for GambleAware Q1 donations July 10, 2020 Share 888 calls for Betgenius sportsbook makeover June 25, 2020 Related Articles Share StumbleUpon Submit Mark Summerfield – 888 HoldingsLondon-listed online gambling group 888 Holdings Plc has strengthened its governance advisory by confirming the appointment of Mark Summerfield as a new Non-Executive Director.An expert in the auditing and financial planning of large-scale enterprises, Summerfield is the former Partner and Global Head of Gaming for ‘big-4’ accountancy KPMG (2003-2017).During his executive tenure at KPMG, Summerfield further served as interim CFO of William Hill, helping the FTSE bookmaker undertake its new strategic direction whilst assisting with its corporate transformation plan and adoption of technology programs.Further to his appointment as a corporate advisor, 888 governance confirms that Summerfield will act as Chairman of the firm’s Audit Committee, working alongside non-executives Zvika Zivlin and Anne de Kerckhove.888 Holdings Chairman, Brian Mattingley commented: “With his extensive experience working with boards and audit committees of major listed companies, Mark brings a wealth of experience to 888. This will be of considerable benefit as the company continues to grow and pursue its strategic objectives. He will be a valuable addition to the board and the audit committee and I am delighted that he has agreed to join us.”last_img read more