Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended NewsBridge protected but lives riskedBy Bernie English – February 20, 2017 858 Advertisement WhatsApp Facebook No vaccines in Limerick yet Print Twitter Linkedin Previous articleCompetition winnerNext articleChildbirth deaths don’t make court Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Shannondoc operating but only by appointment First Irish death from Coronavirus RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL TAGSCllr Sean Lynch (FF)featuredShannon. Limericksuicide Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April The former Fitzgibbon Memorial on Sarsfield bridge The former Fitzgibbon Memorial on Sarsfield [email protected] POTENTIALLY life-saving piece of equipment for Sarsfield Bridge cannot be installed because the bridge is a protected structure, stunned members of Limerick’s local authority heard this week.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr Sean Lynch (FF) told a meeting of the metropolitan committee of the council that he had been contacted by traumatised visitors to the city who saw a man go into the river off the bridge just before Christmas, but could do nothing because there was no lifebuoy near enough.He asked for a lifebouy to be placed in the centre of the bridge, but was told by officials that this wouldn’t be allowed as the bridge is a protected structure.
Swedish pensions and insurance group Länsförsäkringar said it ramped up its investments in green and sustainable bonds last year, tripling its holdings in the debt type to over SEK9bn (€850m) – more than 7% of its total assets under management.Kristofer Dreiman, head of responsible investment at Länsförsäkringar, said: “The rapid move in 2019 has been possible because we are increasingly making our own direct investments in green bonds in the primary market.”He said that since the company had strengthened and focused its management towards this market, it had also been able to positively affect the return.Investments in green and sustainable bonds for the institutional portfolios in the firm’s divisions Länsförsäkringar Liv, Sak and Fondliv increased to SEK9.5bn at the end of 2019 from SEK3.2bn at the beginning of the year, the group said. Issuance of the green and sustainable bonds that the firm now holds is divided between companies, supranational and intergovernmental organisations, both local and global, Länsförsäkringar said, with the bonds coming from 90 different issuers.“We have a clear ambition to increase our proportion of climate-smart investments,” said Dreiman.He said Länsförsäkringar aimed to align its portfolios with the Paris Agreement’s goal of limiting global warming to 1.5°C by 2030.The firm also said an analysis showed most of the capital it had invested in green bonds had gone to issuers that intended to combat climate change, and to those targeting climate adaptation.
Promoted Content6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreThe 6 Weirdest Things You Can Learn On WikiHowCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way9 Talented Actors Who Are Only Associated With One RoleBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made7 Universities In The World Where Education Costs Too MuchWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?Who Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldWhat Happens When You Eat Eggs Every Single Day? The former England defender, 41, believes a “glass ceiling” prevents non-white players from getting key off-field roles at the higher levels.Rio Ferdinand says he is ready for an off-field role, while former Three Lions team-mate Sol Campbell is one of the few bame managers, for League One Southend UnitedAnd Ferdinand has admitted he would be open to an approach from organisations like the FA to bring in the change needed.He said: “On the pitch, it’s very very diverse.“We have black players, players of all different backgrounds out on the pitch.“But that’s not reflected anywhere else in the game.“That has to come from underneath but also it has to come from the top as well. It can’t just come from one way.“There needs to be people in the boardrooms who say ‘OK I’m willing to open the doors, I’m going to put my neck out and say I want you to come into the boardroom’.“That would show people there is a way into boardrooms or into the upper echelons of the game.“But I don’t think these organisations really draw enough on the experience and knowledge of people of colour who have been through the system. That’s a fact.“They’re not put in positions where they’re taken seriously.”Ferdinand was speaking at the launch of BT’s new ‘4-3-3 Strategy’ involving all four Home Nations.But now Ferdinand feels he is ready to lead the way forward.He added: “If the right situation came in front of me, I would definitely do that.“I’ve spoken to different people and organisations and for whatever reason it hasn’t materialised.“There are so many players of different backgrounds and cultures who have played over the years, but are they being given opportunities? I don’t think they are.“If you’re going to talk to a generation of people about racism, it’s going to be digested a lot quicker, a lot more clearly, when the person talking about it has that experience and knows about it first hand.read also:Rio Ferdinand and partner Kate set for eye popping wedding“Have the representation where it’s taken seriously and has a voice that people act upon. Then change will arrive.”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Former Manchester United skipper, Rio Ferdinand, has called on English football chiefs to cut through the ranks — and give black voices a say in the game.Advertisement Loading…
The Italian government has not yet approved the resumption of the season.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Aguero will race for Red Bull alongside Albon. Courtois will run for Alfa Romeo in his second virtual race. Arthur will be with Haas.Golfer Ian Poulter will make his third appearance with Renault.The virtual Spanish GP will take place during the same weekend the real race was scheduled to run at the Barcelona-Catalunya circuit. The race will consist of a qualifying session and a 33-lap race.The F1 season hasn’t started yet because of the coronavirus pandemic.___ Associated Press May 7, 2020 He says “I’m speaking for me and for my teammates” and adds it’s not worth it “if the price of resuming is us getting seriously injured.”Most clubs in the Italian league are resuming training on an individual basis this week but last-place Brescia is one of the holdouts.Brescia is one of areas hit hardest by the virus but Gastaldello says he was never tested.He says “we’ll know if we’ve had it only once they test us before training.”Brescia president Massimo Cellino has also been a vociferous opponent to resuming the season but says it’s not because he wants his club to avoid relegation. The league says the meeting of the 20 clubs will be two days after the next Swiss federal government update on easing restrictions.A restart on June 19 leaves seven weekends and six midweek games to meet UEFA’s preferred Aug. 3 target to complete domestic seasons.St. Gallen leads defending champion Young Boys on goal difference and is five points ahead of third-place Basel.Switzerland’s government has said professional clubs can resume training Monday. Games in empty stadiums should be possible from June 8.The league says the government has advised that teams are no longer eligible for an unemployment insurance program when players start training. The league says it is having “very constructive” talks with the government about further federal aid. ___German soccer league managing director Christian Seifert says the Bundesliga season will resume on May 16.The matches will be played in empty stadiums because of the coronavirus pandemic.The announcement comes one day after Chancellor Angela Merkel and the country’s 16 state governors agreed the season could resume.The Bundesliga was suspended on March 13 with nine rounds remaining. Seifert says the league will begin again where it left off. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Peach Bowl is donating $1.09 million to help fund COVID-19 screenings in Georgia. More teams are returning to full-team training instead of working in small groups. Borussia Mönchengladbach is resuming full training despite what it called “very weak positive” coronavirus tests for one player and one staff member. The club says the player has since tested negative twice and the staff member is isolating at home after one negative test.___Brescia captain Daniele Gastaldello says his entire squad opposes resuming the Serie A soccer season amid the coronavirus pandemic.Gastaldello tells Italian daily La Repubblica “we don’t feel safe. They’re asking us to resume training and to get back out onto the field right away … It’s putting all of the players’ safety on the line.” Seifert was speaking after a video conference with members from the country’s 36 clubs in the top two divisions. The second division will also resume on May 16.___The French Tennis Federation says it will refund tickets purchased for the French Open because of uncertainty related to the coronavirus pandemic.The clay-court tournament at Roland Garros was initially slated to be held May 24-June 7 but has been rescheduled for Sept. 20-Oct. 4.The FFT says it “has taken the decision to cancel and refund all tickets purchased for the original dates of Roland Garros.” The FFT is also working closely with French authorities “to establish the necessary measures which will ensure the health and security of all guests attending the tournament.”Refunds will be received by end of May and a new ticketing procedure will be opened if the tournament goes ahead.___Formula One says Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero, Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois and Barcelona midfielder Arthur will compete alongside drivers in this weekend’s virtual Spanish Grand Prix.Charles Leclerc, Lando Norris, Alex Albon, Antonio Giovinazzi, George Russell and Nicholas Latifi will be the F1 drivers in Sunday’s event. The Gibraltar soccer federation says it has declared the league season null and void with no champion.The top two teams in the league were Europa and St. Joseph’s when the coronavirus pandemic caused the season to be suspended. The federation says they were so close in the standings it could not declare a champion “in the interests of sporting integrity.”The federation said last week that on government advice the season could not be completed by a UEFA-set deadline for Gibraltar of July 20.Europa will enter next season’s Champions League qualifying rounds. St. Joseph’s and third-place Lincoln Red Imps will enter the Europa League.___ ___Soccer clubs from Germany’s top two divisions will discuss setting a date to resume the suspended season amid the coronavirus pandemic. It could be as soon as next week.The German Football League’s board reportedly favors a start date of May 15 but some clubs want it later.Werder Bremen sporting director Frank Baumann backs a May 23 start to “reduce the injury risk” with more training and because some clubs were cleared to return to training earlier than others. Mainz wants two weeks to prepare.The league was given the go-ahead Wednesday to play in empty stadiums following a meeting between German Chancellor Angela Merkel and state governors. Aulas argued for a playoff system to end the league by late August and reserved the possibility to claim damages he estimated at tens of millions of euros (dollars).___The Kontinental Hockey League says it will not name a champion after it stopped the season part-way through the playoffs because of the coronavirus pandemic.The Russia-based league shut down in March but didn’t immediately decide how the final standings would be determined. The league is widely considered to be the strongest outside the NHL.The KHL says the eight teams still in the playoffs at the time the season ended will be ruled as jointly finishing in the top eight positions. The president of French soccer club Lyon says he hopes the resumption of the German league can prompt a reversal of the decision to end the season in his own country.The top two leagues in Germany have been given the go-ahead to play in empty stadiums following a meeting between Chancellor Angela Merkel and state governors.The 10 remaining league matches in France were canceled last week. Paris Saint-Germain was declared champion and Lyon finished outside the European places in seventh.Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas says on sports daily L’Equipe’s website “it might not be too late to imagine … something coherent on a political level.”He adds that “by adapting our methods we could probably have finished the league.” ___The International Canoe Federation says it is planning its budget in case the Tokyo Olympics get canceled in 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic.The ICF says its board “approved two budget scenarios” up to 2022 taking into account “the chance of no competition or Olympics in 2021.”The ICF is due to get about $16 million from the International Olympic Committee as a share of revenue from the postponed Tokyo Games.The ICF has postponed or canceled all international events through August. It is due to have an election congress in December when president Jose Perurena steps down after 12 years. The bowl announced it will help fund the telemedicine screening mobile app developed by Augusta University Health System. The AU Health ExpressCare app allows for free virtual screenings for the virus throughout the day with no appointment.Patients who screen positive will be scheduled for tests.Peach Bowl president Gary Stokan says the aim is giving Georgia residents access to screenings and tests “as soon as possible.”___The Swiss soccer league says clubs will discuss on May 29 if they want to resume playing in June amid the coronavirus pandemic. The Latest: Peach Bowl gives $1.09M for Georgia screenings
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisLooking for the personalized touch on Black Friday?AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Family one step closer to finding ‘Justice for Asher’Next Father says of deceased baby, he ‘wanted to be closer to his spirit’