SA’s R9bn jobs fund open for business

first_imgPaul Kibuuka, who heads the DBSA’s development fund, said the fund aimed to create 150 000 jobs over three years, adding that each job funded should last for at least one year. South Africa’s R9-billion Jobs Fund, which aims to help the government create 150 000 jobs over the next three years, is now accepting applications from companies and non-governmental organisations with innovative job-creation projects. Enterprise development includes assistance to local procurement, marketing support, equipment upgrading or enterprise franchising. He said the fund aimed to target between 1 000 and 2 000 projects. These would either be in the form of matching grants, or grants where companies and organisations had committed a portion of funding to the respective project. He said the team had been given directives to process application timeously. The technical team, which processes applications, would meet weekly and the investment team, which makes the final selection, would meet monthly. Local infrastructure development included the funding of light manufacturing zones and communication links to market goods, he said. The fund will run for three years and is administered by the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA). Source: BuaNews Business Trust CEO Brian Whittaker, who has been chosen as the fund’s vice-chair, said the fund was a bold new initiative that would release a degree of creativity on tackling unemployment. 8 June 2011 Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan told a media briefing before his Budget Vote in Parliament in Cape Town this week that the aim was to give out R2-billion in grants this financial year to those in the private sector. Gordhan said the fund would target four areas, namely enterprise development, local infrastructure development, support for work seekers and institutional capacity building. The fund’s investment committee will be chaired by DBSA deputy-chairperson Frans Baleni, who said that investment would target poor and rural regions. The success of the jobs fund depended on strong co-operation between the private sector and the government, he said. Gordhan said his department chose the DBSA to administer the fund because of the development bank’s footprint – which covers over 200 municipalities across the country and its experience in funding community development projects. The National Treasury will continue to monitor and assess the performance and sustainability of projects funded through the initiative and all projects must be run for at least three to five years. Job creation possibilities The closing date for the first round of applications is July 31 and a large portion of applications will be processed electronically. Those interested, as well as applicants, can contact the Jobs Fund on 086 100 3272 or visit www.jobsfund.org.za. “We are expected to submit bi-monthly reports to the shareholder (the National Treasury), so there would be no time to relax,” he said. Support for work seekers would include setting up networks and projects that can provide training and career guidance, while improving institutional capacity would include funding internships and mentorship programmes. ‘A bold new initiative’ Gordhan said the level of urgency around the country’s high level of unemployment meant that the country required a new energy and infusion in the job creation process. The fund is targeted at established companies with a good track record and that plan to expand existing programmes or pilot innovative approaches to employment creation, with a special focus on opportunities for young people. These include the Small Enterprise Development Agency for business support; Khula, the National Empowerment Fund, the South African Micro-Finance Apex Fund and the Industrial Development Corporation for small business funding; and the Technology Innovation Agency for innovation funding. “There’s an opportunity here to do something innovative and that’s what excites me,” he said. He said the fund would not compete with other government initiatives, but rather complement them: “One hopes that this will inspire new forms of innovation, new forms of creativity and open new areas of job creation possibilities,” he said. Financial assistance for small or micro businesses is not covered through this fund, as the government has other programmes to assist entrepreneurs. Four target funding areaslast_img read more

Lingering issues from 2018’s crops, and plans for 2019

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Harold Watters, Ohio State University Extension agronomistI like to think about how to improve on my crop every year. It looks like yields will be good, but I think I missed out on a few bushels. On my mind for 2019 are several items for both corn and soybeans.For soybean variety selection, I comb the data. I have great friends with all the seed companies, and I want to buy from them all — but I really hold no loyalty to any one company. So I look at data, I often make a seed payment early, and sometimes commit to a particular variety, but I prefer to wait for university results to get a comparison across company offerings. I will also be looking hard for Frogeye leafspot resistance. I saw this disease everywhere this year so I need a boatload of protection. And for herbicide trait I am looking at LibertyLink again. I see plenty of high yielding varieties with the trait. I just need to match yield with Frogeye protection. Waterhemp management isn’t happening. This weed went ballistic this year. I study weed resistance and this one appears to be at about year three in the buildup to full blown resistance. I can control it in corn, with a good pre-emergent herbicide and a dicamba post application. But I know that overusing dicamba will find those resistance genes in there sooner rather than later, so I use Liberty in soybeans. And from Mark Loux, remember “Leave no pigweed behind” because the plant/seed you run through the combine will be out there to germinate next year, and the next too.What about timing of your herbicide application? Early is better, we missed the boat in 2018 with a very wet April and dry May (we were planting, not spraying). But several farmers have come back to me and said they will make a fall herbicide application, for Marestail, and load up on the residuals seven days pre-plant for their 2019 soybean crop. Then they will probably an application of a small seeded broadleaf herbicide (think metolachlor, acetochlor, or similar) with their early post application. I like the sounds of that, and I have seen it work well.Disease protection — we have to put scouting back in our vocabulary and in our methods. Choose resistant hybrids and varieties and then check on them for disease. This business of buying your air-applied fungicide in the dead of winter guarantees an application, but not the need. And with commodity prices I see right now, I want to save money not spend it. Know what your corn and soybean (and wheat) diseases look like and check for them at the appropriate time. If no disease is present, then don’t spray — and know the economic thresholds.Sudden death syndrome “came in” late this year. Did it cause yield loss? Typically in Ohio we see soybean cyst nematode associated with SDS, and SCN often doesn’t show up in plant growth but still causes yield loss. So check for SCN, there are some free sampling kits out there. But really sampling at soybean harvest and getting a feel for your SCN numbers is about maintenance – take advantage of those free tests, but you really ought to sample all of your soybean fields. So whether we had “late SDS” or SCN, we ought to know our levels. And here too, variety selection can help with both of these problems, and so can crop rotation.Gray leaf spot — I never saw so much. I heard that from industry agronomists, and I said it too. I think we need to look a little harder for those good high-yielding hybrids that will tolerate the disease, and even gripe a little to the seed company agronomists and plant breeders when you see them. Things can get better but pressure must be applied. That’s how biological systems make improvements.Hybrid selection — I’ve hit on it some already but again I like data. I WILL check company and university trial results very carefully this year. Yield works for me but I am willing to give up a bit for better disease protection. If I have to pay $30 an acre for a fungicide application that may be 10 bushels per acre if prices don’t improve.Nutrient applications — I am looking for free manure. The nutrients are the same and likely brings along some nitrogen too along with P, K, even sulfur for my crop. My next concern with no manure is potassium. Even though we saw no dry periods this year, I saw K deficiencies. My soil test says I am just a little low, but crops are definitely looking deficient at times. Also, phosphorus I am putting in my most needed spots. I can run a while in areas where I sit in the maintenance range.And then there’s nitrogen — still a concern in 2018. We made a lot, but lost a lot. I still think I was a bit short early when we had rapid growth, and before sidedress timing. And I think it showed up in rows-around on my ears — too many 14s, not enough 18s. So I’ll up my at-plant N, and make sure I have 50 pounds of N at plant not the 22 I had this year. As to rate, I want to move to a variable rate application, but don’t own my own applicator. The easiest way for me to get variable rate is by urea broadcast, and that has issues too so I will probably use the Corn Nitrogen Rate Calculator again this next year and put on the right economic rate for the price.Keep up with us at http://agcrops.osu.edu.Harold Watters, Extension Field Agronomist, works out of the Extension office in Bellefontaine and can be reached at [email protected] or by phone at 937 599-4227.last_img read more

Cavaliers execs reject Irving trade talk, deny team in chaos

first_imgNew Cleveland Cavaliers general manager Koby Altman, left, listens as Cavaliers chairman Dan Gilbert answers questions about Cavalier player Kyrie Irving’s demand to be traded, during a news conference at the Cavaliers training facility in Independence, Ohio, Wednesday, July 26, 2017. (AP Photo/Phil Long)INDEPENDENCE, OHIO—Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert spent more than 30 minutes presenting a positive portrait of his franchise.The reality is that the Cavs are troubled.ADVERTISEMENT Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet In his first public comments since Kyrie Irving asked to be traded, Gilbert would not confirm whether he’ll honor the All-Star point guard’s request, but he also didn’t rule out the real possibility that Cleveland may deal its second best player — or if he thinks LeBron James will stay around beyond next season.“These things are fluid,” Gilbert said. “We think that Kyrie Irving is one of the best guards in the NBA. He was part of a championship, three years straight to the Finals and we value his talent — significantly.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsDespite several direct questions about Irving’s status, Gilbert would not provide any specifics about recent conversations with him or his agent. Gilbert said he expected the 25-year-old, whose jumper in Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals propelled Cleveland to its first championship since the Browns in 1964, to be at training camp with the team in September.“Right now Kyrie Irving is under contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers for two or three years, depending on the last year,” Gilbert said. “As of now he’s one of our best players and sure, we expect him to be in camp.” LATEST STORIES Gilbert was clearly attempting to avoid making things worse for the Cavs or doing any further damage to the club’s relationship with Irving, who has blossomed into the one of the league’s best backcourt players.While Irving may want out, the Cavs aren’t obligated to move him and new general manager Koby Altman said Irving remains an important piece for a team that has been to three straight Finals.“He’s a core piece of what we’ve done,” said Altman, who was promoted to full-time GM after filling in when David Griffin left earlier this summer. “Kyrie is a tremendous player. He has made great contributions to this franchise and we enjoy him as a player. We’re going to keep this stuff in house in terms of what was said in those meetings, but he continues to be a core piece of who we are and what we do.”It’s been turbulent summer for the Cavs, who didn’t defend their title and were beaten in five games by Golden State in the Finals. The bumpy ride began with Griffin parting ways with the club over philosophical differences with Gilbert, who was then rebuffed in adding former Pistons guard Chauncey Billups to his front office.And while numerous teams got stronger via free agency and trades, Cleveland was hamstrung financially by salary-cap issues.ADVERTISEMENT Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes That could change next summer when James can opt out of his contract and hit the free-agent market.For now, though, Gilbert and Altman said the three-time champion is invested in the Cavaliers.“LeBron remains deeply committed to this organization,” Altman said. “He remains deeply committed to this team and deeply committed to this city. He has deep roots to this city. And it means a lot to him to be here and compete for championships for years to come. That’s his goal, and so we have shared goals.”Gilbert paused for a moment before addressing James’ future beyond 2017-18.“That hunger is as strong as I’ve ever seen,” Gilbert said. “I think beyond this season I don’t know, we’re focused on this season.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Then, the Irving trade demand was a cannonball in Gilbert’s backyard basketball pool.“Well, how is your guys’ summer going?” Gilbert quipped in a light-hearted moment.Beyond its implications with the Cavs, Irving’s appeal to be traded appears to have damaged his relationship with James. The stars have taken swipes at each other with posts on social media , and it remains to be seen if they can patch things up.Altman dismissed any Irving-James rift.“I think a lot of it has been overblown,” he said. “I think the people who are in this building every day haven’t seen any of that animosity. This is, along with Kevin Love, this is a group that got us to three straight Finals and won an NBA championship together. They play great together on the floor and a lot of that I do think is overblown.”Gilbert opened the news conference by introducing other members of Cleveland’s front office, which was reconfigured following Griffin’s departure last month. He then had high praise for Altman, who in the past few weeks has done all he could to bolster an aging Cleveland bench that was exposed by the Warriors.Altman also signed free agent guard Derrick Rose, who could be an option to start if the Cavs can’t work things out with Irving.“We signed him on my first official day on the job, so that’s not a bad start, right?” Altman said of the 28-year-old Rose, a former league MVP.Truth is, things may not be as bad for the Cavaliers as has been suggested.In James, the Cavs still have the game’s best all-around player and Cleveland remains the Eastern Conference’s elite team despite Boston’s acquisition of Gordon Hayward. The Cavs may not have closed the gap on the Warriors, but there isn’t anyone on their heels — yet. Daniel Cormier’s rivalry with Jon Jones peaks at UFC 214 Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Comedy Nights with Kapil’s Dadi and Gutthi slapped with legal notice?

first_imgColors is determined to draw out its battle with Comedy Nights with Kapil (CNWK) and its stars, it seems. In what’s recently come to light, the channel is now slapping a legal notice on CNWK’s Gutthi (Sunil Grover) and Dadi (Ali Asgar).Because? Sunil or Ali can’t perform in Dadi or Gutthi’s get-up in any other show.TOI reports that according to the notice, Ali can’t dress up as an old lady with grey hair and a jooda (a bun), while Sunil is also banned from wearing ribbons that his character Gutthi sported on CNWK. If they do so, it will call for copyright infringement. All this is mentioned in the legal notice, which has been handed over to the team, concluded the report.What the two characters had been planning to do was, appear on a live show that’s being hosted by none other than Salman Khan and Jacqueline Fernandez, called Da-Bang. The show was scheduled to be held in Surat on February 19, the rehearsals for which are reportedly on in full swing. Before arranging for Gutthi’s and Dadi’s act on the show, the organisers allegedly forgot to take permission from Colors channel.last_img read more