RSF-TV5MONDE Prize goes to Polish reporter, Tomasz Piatek, Iranian photographer Soheil Arabi and Turkish Web TV Medyascope TV

first_imgNews Follow the news on Europe – Central Asia November 7, 2017 – Updated on November 8, 2017 RSF-TV5MONDE Prize goes to Polish reporter, Tomasz Piatek, Iranian photographer Soheil Arabi and Turkish Web TV Medyascope TV PolandTurkeyIranFranceEurope – Central AsiaMiddle East – North Africa Events ImprisonedFreedom of expressionRSF PrizeCitizen-journalists News Respect judicial independence in cases of two leading journalists in Serbia and Montenegro, RSF says to go further Help by sharing this information PolandTurkeyIranFranceEurope – Central AsiaMiddle East – North Africa Events ImprisonedFreedom of expressionRSF PrizeCitizen-journalists June 7, 2021 Find out more June 8, 2021 Find out more Organisation RSF_en RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says News From a list of 18 nominees, the jury awarded this year’s prize to Polish investigative reporter Tomasz Piatek in the “journalist” category, Turkish web TV Medyascopein the “media” category, and imprisoned Iranian photographer Soheil Arabi in the“citizen-journalist” category.“Journalist” category laureate Tomasz Piatek is an investigative reporter for the Warsaw-based daily Gazeta Wyborcza who is facing a possible three-year jail termon charges brought by defence minister Antoni Macierewicz before a military court.They were prompted by a book entitled “Macierewicz and his secret” that sheds light on the minister’s relations with persons linked to the Russian intelligence services. Ever since its publication, Piatek has been the target of attacks in the pro-government media and has been getting serious threats.“Media” category laureate Medyascope is an independent Web TV launched in2015 by leading Turkish journalist Ruşen Çakır with the aim of combining newtechnology with better reporting standards to reopen a public debate now largely suppressed in Turkey, which is ranked 155th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. It uses videos that are broadcast online and are made available as podcasts to give a voice to journalists sidelined by the government’s crackdown, and to citizen-journalists. Its programmes are now quite structured and include sections on a wide range of subjects such as politics, society, culture and sport. Some of its programmes are available in Kurdish, German, French and English. They include a weekly English-language podcast called “This Week in Turkey.”“Citizen-journalist” category laureate Soheil Arabi is a Tehran-based photographer who was has been imprisoned since December 2013. After his arrest, he was mistreated and subjected to solitary confinement for two months to force him to confess to involvement in creating a Facebook network that “blasphemed” Islam and criticized the government. A long judicial saga ensued in which he was initially sentenced him to three years inprison, 30 lashes and a heavy fine. A few months later, he was retried and sentenced to death, but the death sentence was eventually overturned and in September 2015 he was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison. In July of this year, his wife was arrested and was held for eight days, and she is still being subjected to threatsand harassment. Soheil Arabi began a hunger strike at the end of August.Laureates Tomasz Piatek and Ruşen Çakır, RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire, Strasbourg mayor Roland Ries and TV5MONDE editor-in- chief Paul Germain were among those attending these evening’s award ceremony in Strasbourg, whichwas hosted by TV journalist Bernard de la Villardière. The guest of honour was Loup Bureau, a young French freelance reporter who was held for seven weeks in Turkey earlier this year. RSF waged an intensive campaign on his behalf until he was released. Receive email alerts News The names of the winners of the 2017 Reporters Without Borders (RSF) and TV5MONDE Press Freedom Prize were unveiled at a ceremony held this evening inStrasbourg as part of the World Forum for Democracy in partnership with the Cityof Strasbourg. June 4, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Oil prices plummet as Russia defies Opec plans for deeper cuts

first_imgCoronavirus has hit global oil demand hardThe impact of coronavirus on global oil markets has been huge since it took hold in China in January, as quarantine measures and subdued economic activity have conspired to significantly weaken demand for the commodity.On Thursday, Opec confirmed it had dramatically revised down its full-year demand forecasts due to the “unprecedented situation” brought on by the health crisis.It said in a statement: “The Covid-19 outbreak has had a major adverse impact on global economic and oil demand forecasts in 2020, particularly for the first and second quarters.“Global oil demand growth in 2020 is now forecast to be 480,000 bpd, down from 1.1 bpd in December 2019.“Moreover, the unprecedented situation, and the ever-shifting market dynamics, means risks are skewed to the downside.” Opec members are awaiting Russia’s decision on whether it will agree to new supply cuts (Credit: Opec) Crude oil prices nosedived on news today (6 March) that Russia had rebuffed a recommendation from Opec to introduce fresh production cuts in response to the impact of coronavirus on international markets.Already weakened by waning global demand as the health crisis continues to subdue economic and industrial activity, Brent crude dropped almost 10% in the day’s trading to around $45 per barrel – its lowest level since 2017.Opec had hoped to secure agreement from Russia for an extension to existing measures, due to expire at the end of this month, to curb global oil supply in an attempt to bolster markets – as well as for a major deepening of the cuts that would see oil producers withhold 3.6 million barrels per day (bpd) overall until the end of the year.Russia’s refusal to cooperate raises doubts over the future of the informal Opec+ alliance, which has been coordinating to control global oil output – and market prices – since 2016, potentially paving the way to a price war that could drive down prices further still. Russia unwilling to support Opec recommendation for deeper cutsIn Vienna on Thursday (5 March), Opec members had suggested a major round of oil output cuts totalling 1.5 million barrels per day (bpd) – adding to existing measures to withhold 2.1 million bpd introduced at the start of the year in response to a global oversupply and cheap natural gas prices.The new reductions – intended to be shared between Opec members, nominally led by Saudi Arabia, and non-Opec countries that have been cooperating with the measures – were initially suggested to run until the end of June, but post-meeting negotiations led to a revised timetable for the end of the year.A second meeting was held today to discuss these plans with members of the Opec+ alliance – which is informally led by Russia – and to secure their agreement to the new policy.Rumours emerged throughout the day that Russia was unwilling to commit to further production cuts, and after a series of delays brought on by last-gasp negotiations it was confirmed Russia had not agreed to the recommendation.The collapse of the talks now raises the “spectre of unrestrained production”, according to Wood Mackenzie analyst Ann-Louise Hittle, who described the outcome as a “psychological blow for the market”.She added: “The only silver lining in a very dark cloud is for refining – the sector will be hit hard by weak demand, but it is at least saved from tightening crude differentials associated with a major cut in OPEC supplies.”center_img Opec had recommended fresh production cuts of 1.5 million bpd until the end of the year in a bid to stabilise markets amid coronavirus pressure, but failed to secure Moscow’s backinglast_img read more

President Trump Deems Houses of Worship Essential, Threatens to Override Governors

first_imgPhoto: D. Myles Cullen / White HouseWASHINGTON – President Donald Trump announced Friday that his administration is issuing guidance deeming places of worship “essential” operations during the coronavirus pandemic, threatening to “override” governors if their states did not follow the new federal recommendations. “Some governors have deemed liquor stores and abortion clinics essential, but have left our churches and houses of worship. It’s not right. So I’m correcting this injustice and calling houses of worship essential,” Trump said during his announcement at the White House.The President said that at his direction, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will provide the guidance.Trump said he was calling upon governors to “allow churches and places of worship to open right now.” “If there’s any question, they’re going to have to call me, but they’re not going to be successful in that call,” Trump added.“The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important essential places of faith to open right now, this weekend. If they don’t do it, I will override the governors,” he continued. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more