Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended NewsBridge protected but lives riskedBy Bernie English – February 20, 2017 858 Advertisement WhatsApp Facebook No vaccines in Limerick yet Print Twitter Linkedin Previous articleCompetition winnerNext articleChildbirth deaths don’t make court Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Shannondoc operating but only by appointment First Irish death from Coronavirus RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL TAGSCllr Sean Lynch (FF)featuredShannon. Limericksuicide Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April The former Fitzgibbon Memorial on Sarsfield bridge The former Fitzgibbon Memorial on Sarsfield [email protected] POTENTIALLY life-saving piece of equipment for Sarsfield Bridge cannot be installed because the bridge is a protected structure, stunned members of Limerick’s local authority heard this week.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr Sean Lynch (FF) told a meeting of the metropolitan committee of the council that he had been contacted by traumatised visitors to the city who saw a man go into the river off the bridge just before Christmas, but could do nothing because there was no lifebuoy near enough.He asked for a lifebouy to be placed in the centre of the bridge, but was told by officials that this wouldn’t be allowed as the bridge is a protected structure.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “I didn’t know how he was going to take it,” Bass recalled on Thursday after the Lakers’ exit meetings at the team’s facility in El Segundo. “I thought he’d say ‘Get those damn bottles away from me!’ But he embraced it.”Photos showed Bryant cherishing the feeling of champagne soaking his jersey. After feeling that same filling after winning five NBA titles, however, Bryant could not help but tease his teammates.“‘That’s only for championships,’” Bryant reminded them. “‘But all right.’”Even with Bryant averaging only 17.6 points on a career-low 35.8 percent shooting, several of Bryant’s teammates believed he would make history in his final game. Beforehand, Bass conferred with World Peace and Lou Williams before asking a Lakers staff member to buy champagne bottles. Lakers forward Julius Randle told Bryant “he has to take at least 40 field-goal attempts.” . Bryant actually 50 shots and went 6-of-21 from 3-point range. As Russell said, “for him to leave on a 60-point night is the best way to go out.” “It felt like every shot went in,” Russell said. “I don’t remember his misses. But I remember his makes vividly.”Not right away.Bryant missed his first five shots. He also airballed a pair of jumpers in the third quarter.“He started off looking like a bum,” World Peace recalled. “I was like, ‘Kobe you ain’t got it no more man!’”As World Peace observed later, “He caught fire.” Bryant scored nine consecutive points in the first quarter. With three minutes left in the final period, Bryant posted 15 points on shots only he could make. He drilled a 26-foot 3-pointer to cut the Jazz’s lead to 96-95 with 59 seconds remaining. Bryant then made a patented 20-foot fadeaway for a 97-96 edge with 31 seconds left. In a game that Clarkson called a “blur,” he remembered recalling, “I don’t even know if this is real right now.”“It was incredible to the point where it started to scare me,” Williams said. “The confetti started coming down and I was like, ‘A ring wasn’t coming with this.’”More Bryant memories came instead. He also signed countless shoes and jerseys for most of his teammates. Yet, not everything went according to plan. Lakers forward Nick Young became amused that Bryant’s last play involved passing to Clarkson for a dunk. “He should’ve ended it with a shot,” Young said. “That’s not the Kobe I know!”Bryant fulfilled that expectation on nearly every other play, though. All of which produced something more than an otherwise meaningless win.“It’s an experience I will remember,” Clarkson said, “and cherish for the rest of my life.” The yellow confetti poured onto the Staples Center court. The standing ovation and MVP chants lasted for minutes. All of which produced a backdrop that suggested the Lakers won another NBA championship. Something else extraordinary happened instead. In what marked the final game of his 20th NBA season, Kobe Bryant posted a season-high 60 points in the Lakers’ 101-96 victory on Wednesday over the Utah Jazz at Staples Center.As Bryant went 22-of-50 shooting in 42 minutes, Metta World Peace “had a headache from screaming so loud and jumping so high.” As Bryant tied his fifth highest scoring output in his career, Jordan Clarkson saw “the best ending to the movie.” The 37-year-old Bryant traveled back in time for one night. So even if the performance meant nothing more than comfort food to a depressing season, Lakers forward Brandon Bass followed through on his pre-game suggestion for all of Bryant’s teammates to douse him with champagne.
DeCOURCY: NFL OT rules need to changeAfter the AFC championship thriller, he explained why he always makes the same call.”Well, I remember as a child watching my father play in LA and him going out and doing the coin toss for the Rams,” Slater told the Boston Globe. “He always called heads, so I asked him one time, ‘Hey, why do you do that? What’s the story behind that?'”I think anyone who knows my family knows faith is important to us, and for him, he was always like, ‘You know, God’s the head of my life, so I call heads.’ That was something he came up with, and I’ve kind of just embraced it.”Slater’s father Jackie has ties to this year’s Super Bowl beyond his son’s participation. Jackie played for the Rams as an offensive tackle for 20 years, but he won’t be cheering on his former team come Feb. 3.”We had a good conversation (Sunday) night,” Matthew Slater said. “He’s going to support his son, so we cleared the air on that last night, and we’re all squared away.”SUPER BOWL 53 PICKS:Predictions from Sporting News’ experts The Patriots got lucky against the Chiefs in the AFC championship game Sunday by winning the coin toss at the start of overtime. New England elected to receive. Quarterback Tom Brady led his team down the field to score a touchdown, win the game and advance to Super Bowl 53 against the Rams. Chiefs star QB Patrick Mahomes never touched the ball.The Patriots have played in two overtime postseason games in the last three years, and both times, they won the coin toss and the game. The one constant for those games: Matthew Slater has called the toss. Slater was elected captain in 2011 and has had this responsibility since. Safety Devin McCourty knew the AFC championship game was over once the Patriots won the coin toss.“You saw me, I ran off soon as I saw it was heads,” McCourty said after the win. “I saw heads, ‘I saw this before, and I know what happens at the end of this one.'”Any time we go to overtime and we get the ball, I’m not really worried about anything. I’m going to get comfy.”
Sydney airport expects strong growth. Photo: Sydney Airport. Technology company SITA has launched an investigation into computer problems that caused widespread delays at Australian and New Zealand airports Monday morning.Airline staff were forced to resort to manual check-in procedures for international flights after problems with SITA’s Advanced Passenger Processing System used by airlines to check that people can travel to their proposed destination.The failure of the system caused delays and queues at affected airports and delays in international departures of up to 60 minutes.SITA said the problem was due to a network connectivity issue which say border control systems disrupted for just under three hours.“We are treating this incident with the utmost urgency and our Major Incident Management Process has been triggered,’’ it said. “All services now have been fully restored and operations are running as normal.“We regret any impact this incident has had on our customers and passengers. Our priority remains, as always, to ensure a stable system so that our customers can conduct their business efficiently and effectively.’’The company said it was conducting a full investigation to discover the root cause of the outage and its team remained on “high alert”.
Embattled CWG organising committee boss Suresh Kalmadi wanted to tell it all in a free-wheeling interview with Headlines Today. But he ended up running away from the cameras. Kalmadi staged a dramatic walkout during an interview with Headlines Today executive editor Rahul Kanwal. WATCH THE INTERVIEW. Kalmadi defied the Congress Party’s gag whip to speak to Headlines Today. But he suddenly lost his nerve when faced with pointed questions on corruption and cost escalations in the Games. Why did the cost of the same plug point swing between a mere Rs 396 to a whopping Rs 2700 for different CWG venues? Kalmadi found the question too hot to handle. He refused to answer. And when he saw the damning evidence on the CWG contract documents, he just walked off in a huff. But before the walkout, he told Headlines Today he does not want another trial by the media. He said: “I will clarify everything before the inquiry committee.” Suddenly the swagger had gone, the unflappable Kalmadi was nervous. The same man who declared to the world that all’s well and this would be the best Games ever. This comes on a day when the Income Tax department raided CWG suppliers and the Enforcement Directorate tightened the noose around the organising committee. To a question on how he felt being snubbed by the PM and Sonia Gandhi at the felicitation of athletes, he played down the issue. Kalmadi said: “I was busy seeing off 10,000 people after the Games. My chef de mission Bhubaneswar Kalita was present. I am not hurt at not being invited.” Kalmadi also tried to deflect blame on the mess surrounding the Games Village. He said: “The Games Village was being handled by the Lt Governor. It was handed over late to the organizing committee. The athletes were given the option to stay in the Village or in the hotels. They all preferred the Village.” Kalmadi also skirted questions on the running feud with Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit and her bid to take credit for the success of the Games. He said: “Everybody was doing their job. I did my job well. She did hers. All events took place on time. The Games was a grand success.” He also refused to admit that the income tax department had conducted raids and seized crucial documents on the Games. Kalmadi said: “There were no raids, just the continuing probe process.” Kalmadi is a hot potato for the Congress Party and he has dealt a double whammy on himself. Not only did he embarrass himself by walking out, without telling it all, the Congress too is incensed.advertisementThe party is furious that Kalmadi defied the muzzle order. Highly-placed sources in the Congress Party said that the Shunglu Committee is the only forum to air views on Commonwealth Games.ALSO CHECK: CWG scam: Multi-pronged probe gathers steam | CWG: Pics – Those who made India proud | CWG: Pics – The force behind the show
Advertisement Advertisement The 2018 UEFA Super Cup once again confirmed LaLiga’s dominance of European football, with Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid running out 4-2 extra time winners over Champions League holders Real Madrid in what was the fourth all-Spanish encounter in five years.No matter who won this ‘derbi’ encounter played out in Tallinn, Estonia, LaLiga was guaranteed a fifth successive UEFA Super Cup. Whoever came out on top, LaLiga would extend its lead as the league with most UEFA Super Cup victories. 2018 was the 15th year a Spanish side lifted the trophy. Next on the list is Italy’s Serie A with nine competition victories, then England’s Premier League with seven.The Spanish dominance of the Super Cup has become even more pronounced in recent years. LaLiga has been victorious in nine of the last ten years. In fact, no LaLiga side has lost to foreign opponents in over a decade.
Rangers veteran McAuley backing move for Southampton midfielder Davisby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveRangers veteran Gareth McAuley has backed a move for Southampton midfielder Steven Davis.McAuley believes that his Northern Ireland team-mate would be an ideal addition.”I don’t know if it’s on the cards, but he’s certainly the player who has been here before, who has captained the club and knows what it’s about,” said McAuley.”The last time I spoke to Steven was at the last international game. He was keeping his cards close to his chest.”I know he’s frustrated that he’s not playing football and, if the opportunity is there for him and things are right with Southampton, then I’m sure that he would love to (come back).”It’s an amazing club. I can’t think of anywhere better to play.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Bournemouth boss Howe insists Faria influence not stretching to transfer policyby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth boss Eddie Howe has played down the influence of new coach Hugo Faria on transfer policy.The former Portugal under-20 international recently joined the Dorset club as a first-team assistant coach. Howe bolstered his squad over the summer with the signings of Jefferson Lerma and Diego Rico from La Liga outfits Levante and Leganés, respectively.However, he played down suggestions Cherries would prioritise foreign recruits in future transfer windows following Faria’s arrival.“I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from it but we have a group of players who need to be communicated with perfectly,” said Howe to the Daily Echo.“We can’t take chances on information which may get lost. For that alone, it was important.”