Bridge protected but lives risked

first_imgSurgeries and clinic cancellations extended NewsBridge protected but lives riskedBy Bernie English – February 20, 2017 858 Advertisement WhatsApp Facebook No vaccines in Limerick yet Print Twitter Linkedin Previous articleCompetition winnerNext articleChildbirth deaths don’t make court Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. center_img Shannondoc operating but only by appointment First Irish death from Coronavirus RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL TAGSCllr Sean Lynch (FF)featuredShannon. Limericksuicide Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April The former Fitzgibbon Memorial on Sarsfield bridge The former Fitzgibbon Memorial on Sarsfield [email protected] POTENTIALLY life-saving piece of equipment for Sarsfield Bridge cannot be installed because the bridge is a protected structure, stunned members of Limerick’s local authority heard this week.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr Sean Lynch (FF) told a meeting of the metropolitan committee of the council that he had been contacted by traumatised visitors to the city who saw a man go into the river off the bridge just before Christmas, but could do nothing because there was no lifebuoy near enough.He asked for a lifebouy to be placed in the centre of the bridge, but was told by officials that this wouldn’t be allowed as the bridge is a protected structure.last_img read more

Hundreds of water protesters from Co Donegal to descend on Dublin today

first_imgHomepage BannerNews Google+ Hundreds of people from Co Donegal will travel to Dublin today for a national demonstration against water charges.In the region of 10-15 buses left the County at around 6:30am this morning, and they will join thousands of people outside Leinster House this afternoon.Gardai have said “plans are being put into place” to deal with events of today, but the extent of potential diversions and road closures will depend on the number of people taking part.Right 2 Water PRO, Cllr Gary Doherty, says there is a huge contingent travelling from the county to Dublin this morning:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/gdoc.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Twitter Twitter Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal Google+ Pinterest Pinterest RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North WhatsAppcenter_img Previous articleSwift announces Dublin dateNext articleWinds of up to 130kmh to batter the northwest News Highland Hundreds of water protesters from Co Donegal to descend on Dublin today Facebook 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry By News Highland – December 9, 2014 Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th WhatsApp Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire Facebooklast_img read more

Sakho remains with West Ham squad

first_img The 25-year-old striker was arrested on suspicion of assault last week, but was in the West Ham team that won 2-0 at Arsenal and the Senegal international is likely to start for the Hammers when they welcome Leicester to Upton Park. Police held the player last Thursday on suspicion of attacking a girlfriend in east London, The Sun reported, but Bilic said that from a football perspective there is no reason why Sakho will not be in his team. “Well, he’s training,” the Croatian replied when asked about the situation. “He played against Arsenal. He was here every day, he looks okay, he looks happy, he’s not worried. For all these things I’m happy. “For all other the aspects of this problem you should talk to Diafra. Of course I’m concerned, I spoke with him. But he looks very positive, he’s not worried about it. Therefore, he trained normally this week. I am happy with him” While Sakho remains in Bilic’s plans at this early stage of the season, one player who will not be involved against the Foxes is midfielder Morgan Amalfitano. The France international was not in the squad for the victory at the Emirates and was conspicuous by his absence at the club’s open training session on Tuesday. It later emerged he had missed a team meeting and was punished by Bilic, who made him train with the youth team. Although Bilic says the reports of a bust-up were sensationalised, he did suggest that Amalfitano has no future at West Ham. “He’s not in the first team any more and that is it,” he said. Diafra Sakho remains in contention to play for West Ham against Leicester on Saturday despite his recent arrest, manager Slaven Bilic has announced. Press Association “I have to protect the team. I said it to players at the start, these things are not new. They are more or less the same at every football club. “My first job is to protect the team, t o keep the team as a unit in the best possible way. And if I feel me and my staff, if I feel that someone is damaging it in a way, I have to react. And I did that. “It was nothing or nowhere near what was in the papers. It was not brawling in front of players. This was just a quiet meeting between the two or us where I explained the situation. I had to do it to keep the harmony, to keep everything in place.” It has been a busy first week of Premier League management for Bilic, who also clarified why West Ham had opted against offering a contract to Joey Barton. The former QPR captain is a free agent and appeared set to sign for the Hammers, who then pulled the plug on the deal amid widespread criticism of the move from the club’s supporters. Asked if the deal was scuppered by the opposition from a large number of fans, Bilic said: “No, no, it was altogether. Not just one thing. “We were thinking about Joey and I like him as a player. We discussed, we had some talks and ideas about him. But after that we decided and Joey also not to do it. “It was not the best timing. Joey is great lad and a good player. He wished us well and we also want to wish him well.” last_img read more

O’Neill to name provisional squad for Euro qualifiers

first_imgThe Republic of Ireland play Gibraltar on the Algarve on September 4th, before playing host to Georgia three days later.O’Neill is set to face renewed questioning over Stephen Ireland following his impressive start to the season with Stoke.last_img

NOTORIOUSLY PRETTY – McGregor vs Mayweather

first_imgOn Tuesday, July 11, 2012, the pair appeared in front of thousands of fans at a news conference in Los Angeles – both with venomous words enough to sink a ship. McGregor was the first of the fighters to taunt their rival“Little legs, little head…the movement, power, ferociousness – he has not experienced this…” McGregor said.Mayweather responded in kind “I guarantee you’re going out on your face or your back. We know ‘Mr Tap Out’ likes to quit and you will wave that white flag.”The LA conference was the first of four events called to promote the Las Vegas fight which will reportedly earn each man around one hundred million dollars ($100m). Surely, it seems the reward for the combatants is the drive as this fight most likely in years ahead wouldn’t be dissected by scholars, or put in jars containing jots of some of the great Boxing bouts.To those on the ‘circus’ divide, and the few eagerly anticipating this blockbuster, one thing is certain, we all would be entertained, even more than the bore fest that was Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao.Photo Credit – ReutersRelatedVIDEO: Watch Jose Mourinho Give His Verdict On Mayweather Vs McGregor FightAugust 25, 2017In “Sports”Mayweather v McGregor: Fight Will End Early And “Won’t Go The Distance”, Says MayweatherAugust 11, 2017In “Sports”VIDEO: Watch Floyd Mayweather Defeat McGregor To Make Boxing HistoryAugust 27, 2017In “Sports” Boxing – A COMBAT sport in which two people wearing protective gloves throw punches at each other for a predetermined set of time in a boxing ring.Mixed martial arts (MMA) – A full-contact COMBAT sport that allows both striking and grappling, both standing and on the ground, using techniques from other combat sports and martial arts.This isn’t a definition class, but an article on what I term an “acceptable anomaly” on the proposed BOXING bout involving a career-long pugilist and a mixed martial artist.Goose bumps, Stomach butterflies, Mouth agape – were bit part reactions when the official announcement was made on a fight involving reigning UFC Lightweight Champion, Connor McGregor against American undefeated professional boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. A former fighter, Bernard Hopkins tagged the fight “a circus”. Truly, it’s hard to carpet that remark albeit cynical from the former boxer.How does a man who all his life has mastered the act of engaging in professional combat with gloves battle he who knows not more than mixed martial art? It is much like having Jan-Ove Waldner, the man widely regarded as being the greatest table tennis player of all time; take on Lawn Tennis legend, Roger Federer – because (Tennis) is involved in their craft. Befuddling!Experts believe this fight is tolerable based on the definition above, both fighters are COMBATANTS.last_img read more