Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez will miss their first two Premier League games of the season after picking up an abdominal strain in training, manager Arsene Wenger said on Wednesday.Wenger said the Chile international would miss Arsenal’s home fixture against Leicester City on Friday as well as the trip to Stoke City on Aug. 19.”He had a little abdominal strain that he caught on Sunday morning in training and he had a scan two days ago,” Wenger told a news conference. “He is out for a while, could be two weeks but he will not be available for Stoke.” (Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke under fire for hunting TV channel)Sanchez, who was Arsenal’s top scorer in the league with 24 goals last season, has been linked with a move to Paris St Germain in the French media, but Wenger has been adamant that he would stay at the Emirates Stadium.When asked if Arsenal have received any bids from PSG for the 28-year-old, Wenger replied: “I cannot tell you that. We are not open to any offers anyway.”(PSG) are looking for (Kylian) Mbappe, that’s what I read in the papers. I have had no contact with PSG.”Wenger also dismissed media reports linking Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain with rivals Chelsea.The 23-year-old England international has struggled to secure a regular place since arriving at Arsenal six years ago, but Wenger believes the winger has the potential to become a great player.”I think he had in his career some bad moments because he had some small injuries,” the Frenchman added.advertisement”Last year he was much more stable. Personally I think he is a hugely talented player, he’s on the way up and he will continue to move up because the potential is there.”He’s very conscious of his qualities, he was not always. I believe he will be a very great player.”Wenger also confirmed goalkeeper David Ospina will stay at the club and fight for the number one shirt with Petr Cech this season.
SAN ANTONIO — The San Antonio Spurs got the test they were expecting all season at home, and it almost proved too much for them to overcome.Kawhi Leonard had 19 points and 12 rebounds and the San Antonio Spurs held off Kristaps Porzingis and the New York Knicks 100-99 on Jan. 8 to remain unbeaten at home.San Antonio won its franchise-record 22nd straight home game to open the season and tied the franchise’s best start after 38 games at 32-6. But after winning their past three home games by a 25-point average, the Spurs escaped when Jose Calderon’s 3-pointer at the buzzer bounced off the rim.“I was kind of enjoying (the blowouts),” San Antonio guard Manu Ginobili said. “It’s not bad to win games like that. Nothing is easy in the NBA, but we knew in facing the Knicks that they were playing great, feeling good about themselves. We had to play much better to get this win. And I think we did.”Porzingis had 28 points and 11 rebounds but was on the bench when the Knicks started a 14-4 run to pull within 96-94 with 1:27 remaining.New York’s Arron Afflalo hit his second 3-pointer in the final 2 minutes to make it 98-97 Spurs. After Tony Parker’s layup for San Antonio, Porzingis threw down an alley-oop dunk.After rebounding Parker’s missed 20-foot jumper with 15.9 seconds remaining, Langston Galloway took the ball up court to set up Calderon’s miss after seeing New York coach Derrick Fisher did not want to call a timeout.“I thought it was best to allow the game to finish up as it was going,” Fisher said. “Their defense wasn’t really set. Everybody was trying to scramble to figure out how they matched up. We made a good basketball play. We got a good shooter an open look, and it just didn’t go in.”Anthony had 20 points and 12 rebounds but passed up the final shot after getting Ginobili to help defensively off Calderon. But Calderon missed the 3-pointer from the left corner ahead of a charging Ginobili to end the game and snap New York’s three-game winning streak.“At the end we have to play better defense,” Parker said. “That’s a good look that we gave away. Calderon is a good shooter. It looked good, I thought it was going in.”Aldridge, Parker and Ginobili each had 16 points for San Antonio, which was won seven straight.TweetPinShare0 Shares
Napoli Hamsik refuses to be distracted by Maradona record Guy Atkinson Last updated 1 year ago 01:49 11/17/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty Images Napoli Serie A Napoli v Milan Milan The Argentine’s place as Napoli’s highest-ever scorer is on the verge of being claimed by the current captain, but he would rather take Serie A Napoli captain Marek Hamsik is adamant that he is not letting thoughts of breaking Diego Maradona’s club-scoring record distract him from contributing to the Partenopei’s bid for a first Scudetto since 1990. Hamsik 17/10 to score v MilanHamsik’s goal in the 3-0 win over Cagliari at the start of October took him to 114 for the club – one shy of the Argentinian great’s haul which he accumulated during his celebrated spell in Naples that inspired Serie A glory in 1987 and three years later. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player The Slovakian has not scored in seven games since then, but despite admitting that he does think about the record, he insists that it is the Serie A title that truly dominates his thoughts.”I think about the record, it’s true, but I’ve always scored,” said the 30-year-old.”The goals will come; I’m not stressed about it. I think more about the team and our results, they matter more than the personal ones. #Hamsik: “Focused, fired up and ready to bounce back” #NapoliMilan 🇮🇹 https://t.co/UJQreMRUe3 pic.twitter.com/mDAaBCyakD— Official SSC Napoli (@en_sscnapoli) November 16, 2017″I’m happy about what we’re doing and must continue on that path. In my head there only is the team, I only think about the Scudetto.”Napoli are top of Serie A going into this weekend’s fixtures and host out-of-form AC Milan on Saturday.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Bournemouth boss Howe insists Faria influence not stretching to transfer policyby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth boss Eddie Howe has played down the influence of new coach Hugo Faria on transfer policy.The former Portugal under-20 international recently joined the Dorset club as a first-team assistant coach. Howe bolstered his squad over the summer with the signings of Jefferson Lerma and Diego Rico from La Liga outfits Levante and Leganés, respectively.However, he played down suggestions Cherries would prioritise foreign recruits in future transfer windows following Faria’s arrival.“I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from it but we have a group of players who need to be communicated with perfectly,” said Howe to the Daily Echo.“We can’t take chances on information which may get lost. For that alone, it was important.”
Twitter/@timringTVNotre Dame hosts its senior day today in South Bend, and when it was Sheldon Day’s turn to greet his mother on the field, things got pretty emotional. Day’s mom couldn’t quite wait for him to hit midfield, so she jogs up to meet him, the two do a special handshake, and then emotionally embraced. It was a fantastic moment:Sheldon Day’s mom doesn’t wait for her son at midfield. Great Senior Day moment at Notre Dame Stadium pic.twitter.com/9vSKZ4PJPK— Tim Ring (@timringTV) November 14, 2015Notre Dame leads Wake Forest 21-0 early in the second quarter.
BERLIN — A one-day strike by security staff at three German airports on Thursday is causing travel chaos for tens of thousands of travellers.The ver.di union called on staff at airports in Duesseldorf, Cologne-Bonn and Stuttgart to walk off the job all day, leading to hundreds of flights being cancelled.The German news agency dpa reported that 350 flights were cancelled at Duesseldorf, 142 at Stuttgart and 131 at Cologne-Bonn.Up to 110,000 passengers may be affected only by the cancellations at those three airports, according to dpa.Other airports in the country were also affected by the strike including Berlin where 90 flights had to be cancelled at the capital’s Tegel airport and another four at Schoenefeld airport.“Check the status of your flight at the airline before coming to the airport,” Berlin Airport Service tweeted Thursday morning.About 100 flights were cancelled at Munich’s international airport, though some because of the continuing snowfall in southern Germany.At Duesseldorf airport, hundreds of security employees protested by blowing whistles and holding banners with slogans like “More salary? For sure!” The departure and arrival displays showed hundreds of cancellations while airlines were struggling to book passengers on other flights or gave out vouchers for train rides instead.Ver.di has said employers “provoked” the strike by offering a 2-per cent pay increase over two years.The union wants hourly pay for all workers conducting security checks to rise to 20 euros ($23.10). Employer association BDLS says this could amount to a 30-per cent increase in some cases. The next round of talks is due on Jan. 23.Thursday’s action was the second time security employees went on strike this week. On Monday, they staged a walk-out at Berlin’s two airports which caused disruption.The Associated Press
Gonzalo Higuain has confirmed that Argentina’s controversial warm-up fixture against Israel in Jerusalem has been cancelled ahead of the World CupThe build-up to the friendly had been fraught with tension with Palestinian football association chief Jibril Rajoub having urged the supporters to burn Lionel Messi shirts and pictures if he participates in the match.While neither national federation had confirmed the cancellation of the game, Juventus forward Higuain has now revealed that it has indeed been cancelled.“They’ve finally done the right thing,” he told ESPN.Higuain is glad of Juve return and reunited with Ronaldo George Patchias – September 12, 2019 Gonzalo Higuain is happy he returned to Juventus and has the opportunity to be reunited with Cristiano Ronaldo.The Argentine spent last season on loan…Meanwhile, Argentinian football association vice president Hugo Moyano said it was the right decision, per Radio 10: “I think it’s a good thing that the match between Argentina and Israel was suspended. The right thing was done, it’s not worth it. The stuff that happens in those places, where they kill so many people, as a human being you can’t accept that in any way. The players’ families were suffering due to the threats.”The fixture against Israel had been Argentina’s final warm-up game before the start of the World Cup on June 14.La Albiceleste are in Group D with Iceland, Croatia and Nigeria.
England coach Gareth Southgate has reflected on their 2-1 loss to Spain at Wembley and conceded they came up against a “tough test”.England scored the opener with a Marcus Rashford strike, but Spain came from behind to win the game 2-1 thanks to goals from Saul and Rodrigo.“They pressed us and we didn’t keep the ball well enough,” Southgate told Sky Sports, via Team Talk.“I have to give the players credit. We could have folded and disappeared. In the last 25 minutes, we came into the game and could have got a draw.“We are under no illusion that Spain were the better team for long periods. We are still at the early stages of what we want to do.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“They pressed well. It took us a while to work out where that was coming from and solutions to it. We are still finding our feet in playing out. We can go back to an old style but we will never be a top team. Or we stick with it and accept it won’t always work.“The system in Spain has produced some of the best midfielders in the world. We are a different profile of players who can’t play like they do. But we can move the ball. When we are match fitter we will function better up the pitch. It takes time. We have come a long way.“Today was a tough test in terms of pressing and a team who are so good in possession. We have to keep reviewing and looking at what we do. But we want to stick to the plan and get better at it.”
Former Newcastle United boss Sam Allardyce fears that his old side will be relegated unless Rafael Benitez and Mike Ashley resolve their disputeThe Magpies are winless and joint bottom of the Premier League table with just two points from eight games.Manager Benitez has grown increasingly frustrated with Newcastle owner Ashley’s lack of support in the transfer market.But Allardyce, who was fired by Ashley in January 2008, believes that Benitez must succeed regardless of the resources at Newcastle.“If you’re going to be successful, harmony at the top’s very important – communication and pulling in the right direction,” said Allardyce told PA Sport, via ITV.“Whether that’s happening with Rafa and Mike, I’m not privy to that information, but certainly, from my point of view as a manager, the relationship between the owners and you as a manager is critical.“(A club) can succeed but you have to put your differences to one side, both the owner and you, as the manager, and work together to get on with the job.Virgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“Whether you like each other or not doesn’t particularly matter; as long as you do the business and the best for the football club.“I was there for seven months and never really had a relationship with Mike – he wasn’t the type. He wanted other people to run the club and he wanted to come along and enjoy the ride. I don’t know whether that’s changed or not.“Because (in the transfer market Benitez is) limited, as we all find ourselves with whatever club we’re at, we try and use our tactics and the players we’ve got to the best of our ability.“The Newcastle fans give (Ashley) a lot of stick, but he is the owner of the football club and he has put his money in.“Whether that’s enough or not he decides how much money he wants to give the club and it’s up to you as the manager to try and spend that as wisely as you can.“Only time will tell if Rafa has. He certainly did last year; he finished very, very strongly. This year’s a difficult start but maybe again they’ll come through. New players again – we all have to settle players in very quickly, and that’s very demanding as a manager.”Newcastle will next face Brighton in the Premier League on October 20.