The United Nations Commission on Human Rights has lost all credibility since Libya was appointed to chair it last year. Reporters Without Borders has launched a media campaign to expose this farce. RSF_en News March 15, 2004 – Updated on January 25, 2016 60th session of the UN Commission on Human Rights: the farce continues Organisation The United Nations Commission on Human Rights, which has lost all credibility since Libya was appointed to chair it last year, will hold its 60th session in Geneva from 15 March to 23 April.Twenty-five of its 53 member-countries have not even ratified all the conventions and agreements it is called on to enforce. It’s rather like asking thieves to sit in judgment over criminals.Reporters Without Borders has launched a media campaign to expose this farce. Worst offenders are Saudi Arabia, China, Cuba and Zimbabwe, says the organisation.Cuba and China are two biggest prisons in the world for journalists, Saudi Arabia is under severe censorship and the Zimbabwean government is doing all it can to stamp out the independent press. Yet all of them are members of the UN Human Rights Commission. They are the most striking examples of the absurd system where countries are both accusers and accused.Reporters Without Borders last year sent recommendations for an urgent and radical reform of the Commission to the United Nations and to several countries, suggesting that only states that had ratified all the international human rights treaties and conventions be allowed to sit on the Commission. It also called for the dropping of “no action” motions, which block any discussion of countries that extensively violate human rights.The 25 countries that have not ratified all human rights agreements are:Bahrain, Bhutan, China, Congo, Cuba, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Japan, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, South Korea, Sudan, Swaziland, Uganda, United States, Zimbabwe. Help by sharing this information
Topics : “This year has been unprecedented for the world and we are proud that Formula One has come together in recent months to return to racing in a safe way,” Formula One Chairman Chase Carey said.Negotiations over a new Concorde Agreement had been put on hold due to the COVID-19 crisis that hit the teams and sport financially.”We said earlier in the year that due to the fluid nature of the pandemic, the Concorde Agreement would take additional time to agree and we are pleased that by August we have been able achieve agreement from all ten teams on the plans for the long term future of our sport,” Carey added.”The new Concorde Agreement, in conjunction with the regulations for 2022, will put in place the foundations to make this a reality and create an environment that is both financially fairer and closes the gaps between teams on the race track.”Formula One’s three oldest and most successful teams — Ferrari, McLaren and Williams — were the first to sign with rights holders Liberty Media and the FIA on Tuesday, with the seven other teams following suit on Wednesday.”Over its 70 year history, Formula One has developed at a remarkable rate, pushing the boundaries of safety, technology… to the absolute limit and today confirms that an exciting new chapter in that history is about to begin,” FIA President Jean Todt said. Formula One’s 10 teams have committed to the sport until at least the end of 2025 by putting their signatures to a new commercial ‘Concorde Agreement’.The current agreement, which sets out the terms under which teams race and the share of revenues, is set to expire at the end of 2020.Formula One and the governing FIA on Wednesday said in a joint statement the agreement will secure the long-term sustainable future for the sport and reduce the financial and on track disparities between the teams.
Image of proposed home for Lot 12, 399 Beckett Rd, Bridgeman Downs. Photo: Supplied.A brand new home in an estate that has not even been built yet has sold for $815,000 as demand heats up for house and land packages.The five-bedroom, three-bathroom home is proposed for Lot 12 of Harrington Estate at 399 Beckett Rd, Bridgeman Downs.Marketing agent Barry Herbert of Ausbuild – Capalaba said the estate was due to be finished in November, then building would begin on the houses.More from newsFor under $10m you can buy a luxurious home with a two-lane bowling alley5 Apr 2017Military and railway history come together on bush block24 Apr 2019Image of proposed home for Lot 12, 399 Beckett Rd, Bridgeman Downs. Pic supplied.Mr Herbert said three-quarters of the first stage of Harrington Estate (about 40 lots) had already been sold. He said the house and land package at Lot 12 had been purchased by a young family looking to upsize.“The packages include everything except landscaping, so they know they can move in and only have to spend money on landscaping but everything else is done,” Mr Herbert said.The package includes security screens, a fencing allowance, window coverings and kitchen whitegoods.There is also a media room, double car garage and alfresco outdoor area.The suburb of Bridgeman Downs has a median house price of $775,000.